Contaminated Sugar or Yeast food

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smndvy

Reaction score
Hi guys - this is my first post so please be gentle with me. I've been lurking around the forum for a couple of weeks and I think I have learned a lot about brewing. My first attempt this coming Saturday will probably prove me wrong though.

I bought a bottle tree/stand and some brewing sugar and spray malt from one of the online retailers and when it was delivered today I found that the bottle tree had pierced both the sugar and spray malt bags - one sticky box of gear.

I spoke to the retailer and they have agreed to send me new sugar and spray malt. The bags are about three quarters empty so should I keep the remaining sugar and spray malt for priming or is it likely to be contaminated - I plan to boil my sugar and batch prime in a second FV before bottling.

Any advice gratefully received.

Simon

Welcome to the forum smndvy. If you are boiling it shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't have thought.

Cheers

AG

Did you have yours cut too. :lol: :lol:

Aleman did warn us. I've not been on word association for a while as I got 300 post deducted in the last clear out.

I lost count of how many, just never touched WAG since :lol:

The forum Ninja has eyes & ears everywhere :rofl:

Indeed Cussword, the Ninja have eyes and ears everywhere, we can even sneak into your posts when you're not looking, but only the Shogun has the post count reset button.

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for putting my mind at rest so quickly.

S

Ninja said:
Indeed Cussword, the Ninja have eyes and ears everywhere, we can even sneak into your posts when you're not looking, but only the Shogun has the post count reset button.

Be afraid be very afraid :eek: :eek:

I'm so scared I am hiding under my desk with the lights off. :eek: :eek:

Agree with a previous poster - sugars, spraymalt etc 'contamination' is nothing to worry about because you should always make a syrup or wort from them and boil for 10-15 minutes. This will get rid of any nasties that have got into them.

The way I do it is in a 2 litre non-stick saucepan. Once I have boiled it I switch the gas off and cover with cling film - this promptly blows up like a balloon. Straight away I then plunge the saucepan into a sink of cold water and leave it for 5 minutes. I then empty the sink and run fresh cold water in and give it another 5 minutes. You will be surprised just how warm the water gets after the first plunge. Add ice to the sink or bowl if necessary.

The 'balloon' cling film will now be bowed inwards - this indicates that it's still sealed and no nasties can have got in (try to ensure that the cling film doesn't touch your wort or sugar solution 'just in case'). It's then safe to leave hanging around for an hour or two until you need to use it without fear of contamination.

Thanks for such a detailed description luckyeddie, at least I can understande what you are talking about which is more than I can say about some of the other posts above - I'm totally confused by some of them

S

smndvy said:
Thanks for such a detailed description luckyeddie, at least I can understande what you are talking about which is more than I can say about some of the other posts above - I'm totally confused by some of them

S

The difference is, I haven't started drinking yet. Give me an hour and my posts will make absolutely no dinkum cheesecloth archibald leprachaun.

Back