Coopers carbonation drops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaindm

Reaction score
Can anyone advise what best quantity for 500ml bottles, or can they be used with priming sugar?

Here in Australia where these drops come from, most commercial beer bottles as used by home brewers as well are 750ml or 375ml. Coopers recommend two drops and one drop respectively. However it's a common complaint that they do tend to overcarbonate the bottles. For most styles, one drop per 500ml bottle would be just about spot on.

Exactly what Bribie said. Coopers Carb drops don't seem to made for use with 500ml bottles, despite the fact some of their kits ship with carb drops and 500ml PET bottles!

EDIT: Should add that I've carbed the 'standard' Coopers Lager in PET bottles with 1 x carb drop/bottle and found there to be very little fizz on opening and practically no head retention whatsoever unless the lager was poured into a glass which was upright throughout so IMO 1 x carb drop per 500ml is under-carbing it, whilst 2 would be risking potential bottle bombs. I'm not using the carb drops again.

Just drinking a Coopers Australian Lager and 1.5 carb drops seems about right for the 500ml bottles. Just be careful cutting them!!'

Greenland Stinger

I had them for Christmas so I'm using them up but I do 2 drops (I like to live dangerously :twisted: ), not had a bottle bomb or any trouble yet :pray:

Sure it sais on the bag use 1 or 2 depending on preference and style, my dad got a free bag, but neither of us would buy them really I don't think.

Depends on the beer style. If it's a lager then I would go with 2. I find the things absolutely hopeless though and would always just use plain old table sugar to prime.

1.5 drops in my Coopers Canadian Blonde as seen here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=39862. Good carbonation throughout, even after 10 days in the 500ml Coopers PET bottle

I'm doing a Woodfordes Wherry next, and will be doing 1 drop in 6 of my 500ml (clear :shock: ) Wilko Swingtop bottles, the rest will be 0.5tsp of Tate and Lyle's finest granulated Free Trade sucre.

So, ales = 1 carbo drop

Lager styles = 1.5 carbo drops

In my opinion :thumb:

Back