Coopers ginger Beer Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just been pondering this ginger beer kit. Given that they can be made non-alcoholic would suggest that there aren't any fermentables in the can itself.

The instructions to make the non-alcoholic version are to add 115g of sugar. Obviously this will give a certain amount of alcohol but I believe it's low enough to be classified as non-alcoholic? 115g of sugar in 20L of water would give approx 0.3% ABV, which would tend to support this information from coopers.

However, here is where it gets a little cloudy. To make the alcoholic version they say to add 1kg of sugar, which will in turn give an approx ABV of 3.5%. Adding 1kg of sugar to 20L of water only gives 2.5%.

I have brewed these kits twice now, and both times the yield and the final ABV has been WAY below what coopers say should be given from these kits.

The kit on its own is non-fermentable so how on earth can they justify the ABV figures that they are quoting? I know that, for the most part, they over estimate with a couple of % points, but surely a whole 1% ABV with a drink that barely gets over 3% as described is at it?

Sounds a bit dodgy to me and agreed, i have never been near the advertised ABV with Coopers kits.

Have you tried the Simply Ginger Beer kit? Its pretty good.

I've emailed them to see what they come back with. All I can think of is that they are taking priming sugar into account and also using a more optimistic calculation for ABV. If you prime with 200g of sugar that would pull in 0.5% and the calculation could pull in the other 0.5%.

It's still a rip though :D

Back