Coopers IPA final gravity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marco491

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been rather cavalier with my kits recently, and as long as the old airlock bubbles away for a bit, I stir a couple of times, leave at least 2 weeks in the FV and everything works out well.

Now I have a Coopers IPA on the go and I don't recall having seen any bubbling airlock. The lid of the FV is tight like a drum, showing something has been going on, and I have stirred it a couple of times. Yeast has collected at the bottom... and now I see the airlock is a bit loose around the seal, so I conclude there has probably been a slow CO2 leak.

To cut it short, what should the FG be? Didn't take the OG as I'm not fussed about the exact ABV (as long as there is an A in the ABV) and the instructions don't say what the hydrometer should say, only that it should stay the same (which any brew will do if the yeast hasn't worked...).

Thanks!

how much sugar did you add and how many litres did you make? From my experience of coopers kits( ive done about 12 or so of them) the normal starting gravity is anything between 1.040 and 1.045 and finishing gravity anything from 1.008 - 1.014 although it could go lower.

it should finish anywhere around 1.008-1.012 i would expect, your OG would have been around the 1.050 mark (maybe a tad higher) i would assume as you have added LME and sugar. If your OG was 1.050, and if it finishes at 1.010 for example then you would have a brew of 5.3%.not too shabby!

Spot on Abeyptfc! Thanks for your help.

I seem to have stability at around 1.010. The hydrometer sample tasted a bit sweet at first, but there was a good aftertaste. Does it dry up further?

Anyway, it stays in the FV for now until I have a free cornie, but it should be very drinkable.

Back