coopers lager with honey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve5666

Reaction score
hello all i have not been brewing to long and was thinking of mixing it up a little i have brewed a coopers european lager and was v impressed with it i have also tried the coopers ginger beer also nice (sweet but nice) this time round i was going to do the coopers euro again but i was thinnking of putting some honey in i know that most of the taste will go but have heard it still has some and is quite nice, i was thinking maybe beer enhancer 2 and 300 g honey any advice would be great thanks :thumb:

Beer enhancer is just dme and sugar, 50/50. Buy some dme and substitute the sugar half for honey, that way it'll stay balanced.

You can pasteurize the honey to ensure its bacteria free. Try not to boil it as it'll kill the flavour. Honey adds a nice subtle aroma and aftertaste, and that'll improve if you use good quality honey - orange blossom is my favourite. Value does the job but much of the aroma is lost.

I wouldn't bother with BKE in a larger plain white sugar is best and doesn't impart any off tastes, + 1 for more expensive honey tho :thumb:

thanks very so what do you reckon i have 300 g honey could i mix that with 700g white sugar or do i put bit more white sugar

I made a coopers Australian lager and used 1200g of orange blossom honey but the beer has a pretty awful orangey aftertaste. Its only been in the bottle for about 5 weeks so maybe the taste will improve but at the minute I'd stay away from honey.

I saw that Craig fella on youtube do a Coopers Australian lager with just 1kg of honey - He seemed to be very happy with the results! It got me thinking..........

Back