Coopers PET Beer Bottles - the Dishwasher Test

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmcmechan

Reaction score
I have a load of these and cleaning is a pain (due to the sediment collecting on the bottom)

So, I tried the following.

Dishwasher cycle at 70C - result was the neck of the bottle deformed - won't do again.

Dishwasher cycle ast 50C - result was no apparent deformity.

Next stage - test integrity of carbonation. Filled with carbonated water and left in fridge for full week - result, still holds carbonation.

Conclusion - can use dishwasher at 50C for Coopers PET bottles :thumb:

i put them in the dishwasher at 60 i think and the neck deformed, so did the rim of the bottle and as a result the caps wouldnt fit on

My dishwasher is the same age as me - it's the missus.

I've just bought 2 dozen of the Young's 1 litre PET bottles. As a special treat, I might buy Mrs Luckyeddie a new bottle brush to celebrate.

abeyptfc said:
i put them in the dishwasher at 60 i think and the neck deformed, so did the rim of the bottle and as a result the caps wouldnt fit on

looks like 50C is the maximum then

Why not just use glass bottles? Beer always tastes better from glass tham pet bottles.

I rinse the sediment out just after Ive poured the beer and by the time Im bottling again they only need to be sterilised and rinsed. Wash the crud off while its still soft and youll have no problems. I wouldnt put my bottles in the dishwasher as I find them to be very DIRTY appliances and were never designed to sterilise the dishes. I do mine by hand in an empty FV with VWP. It takes a little time but gives me peace of mind.

donny_1972 said:
Why not just use glass bottles? Beer always tastes better from glass tham pet bottles.

got them too (about 90 or so) but I have 96 of these guys, in total makes about 4 brews worth

Latest posts

Back