Coopers pet bottles... Do they stand the washing heat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
Heya, i need to order myself a couple of bottles for my future of beer brewing, and i found this Norwegian retailer that sells these Coopers bottles, and it seems like the best price of anything i can find here in Norway.

I read about some guy that tried ti wash his bottles with warm water from the sink, and some sterilizing thingie. You know, the stuff he always used before on plastic bottles, and it turned out fine. However, these new Cooper Pet bottles got weired shapes just because of the heat from the sink water, and they were unusable after their first wash. :hmm:

Is this true? Has this ever happened to you?
The only official cleaner used for beer brewing i have access to, is to be used in warm water, so this is a major problem for me.

If it matters: I'm thinking about these 0,5 liter bottles, not the 0,75.

If you can stand to put your hand in it, your bottles will be fine.

If it would be scalding to your hand, your bottles will melt or distort.

The dividing line is around 70°C.

I have the 500ml Cooper PET bottles and all I do now is after consumption of the beer swill the bottles with warm water to get rid of the sediment (usually 3 rinses) then use Videne or VWP to sterilise them prior to bottling, not had any problems as yet ;)

Ask your local publican (if its post code SK4-7ask me..) maybe buy them a pint or use some charm and you will get many free 500ml or preferably pint Bulmers bottles. They are great and I have reused them many times. My advice would be to use your PET as many times as you can, but dont buy any new ones! Mine did survie the dishwasher, but that plastic seals on the caps DIDNOT...

I've also had the rubber seals in the caps distort when washing at high termperatures. Not recommended.

Wash em out after you have used them (making sure to get the sediment), leave them to drain. If you have cash...
51iaYcXFcrL._SS400_.jpg

I would recommend one of those.

Then a non rinse sanitizer... but their are many discussion on that front.... afew squirts and suddenly you wonder why you used to soak all your bottles..

D

Back