Coopers Premium Selection Sparkling Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Boilerman

Reaction score
Got this coming up when my vessels become free. Im going to be doing it with 1.5kg light DME. Do you think i should add 300-500g of brewing sugar aswell or just stick with the malt?

I've done this a few times and usually 1/2 sugar, 1/2 DME and its one of my favourites.

I've never added this much DME but it'll be good to know what its like

I'm not sure whether any more DME would give you anything else :wha:

Happy brewing :)

Started brewing this on 11th September and just had my first taste. Brewed it as recommended on the tin, with added malt extract, spraymalt and sugar, turned out quite expensive altogether!

Brewed 25L rather than 23L @ 1.048, we're at 1.014 now and airlock activity has finished. Will leave a few more days before bottling.

I must say, this tastes absolutely brilliant already! Can't wait until it's ready and fully conditioned. Should be brilliant and hopefully worth the extra cash!

I've got this kit to brew soon, and plan to brew it with the full monty fermentables (1.5kg of Light LME, 500g of Light DME & 300g of Dextrose), I then plan to split it in secondary and dry hop some with Fuggles & Liberty pellets while leaving 10L as standard.

I will update when it's brewed.

Cheers

MB

just brewed this 1 march with 500g light spray malt and 1 kg sugar og 1045 botlled on the 6 march 1011 fg with half teaspoon of table sugar as that was all i had to hand ( thought i had some coopers drops )
anyway 1 week in kitchen secondary fermentation then now in shed clearing
opened on yesterday sunday 30 th march just for research yo understand fairly clear and it is sparkling good bubbles but still a little green as had that new brew chemically taste but looks promising

After a pretty poor start to my home brewing career where several rookie errors led to a pretty rank batch of ruby ale, I`m having a go at this Coopers sparkling ale.
Lessons learned from the 1st disaster I`m hoping for a better result!

My progress so far...

chucked the kit into the FV with 1kg Youngs beer enhancer on the 18th Feb. Made 23L. Pitched it at 23 degC and it had a OG of 1.040.

Took a day to get going, but then it bubbled away nicely for around 10 days at a pretty constant temp of around 20 degC. Gave it 2 weeks in the FV until the SG was consistent at 1.008 for a couple of days.

Bottled it with 160g Demerara sugar, dissolved into 800ml of boiled water and 20 ml added to each 500ml bottle. Recovered 40 bottles, so 20L recovered.
Bottled it up, left it out in the kitchen (roughly 20 degC) for another couple of weeks and then into the beer fridge and has been in there for the last 2 weeks.
All the info I`ve seen so far suggests that it`s a good idea to leave this bad boy to sit for at least 6 weeks, but 2 - 3 months is the ideal. So I`m aiming for that. Although I think I`ll crack a cheeky wee bottle this weekend, just to test it so I have a fair comparison for 6 weeks time! :)

Cheers,

I made this a while back and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I used only 1kg brewing sugar. I gave out a few and they were all well received.

Thinking of doing this one some time soon with a mini mash. It gets good reviews and the Sparkling Ale is Cooper's flagship beer, I believe.

The Cooper's instructions are to add 1.5kg light liquid malt, 500g light dried malt and 300g brewing sugar. To give about 5.5% ABV. I think I will replace the liquid extract with a mini mash of about 2kg Maris Otter, and add that to 500g DME and 300g brewing sugar. Wondering whether to add some crystal and/or other specialty grains. I will almost certainly do a short boil of some hops, not decided what yet though.

I put this in bottles two weeks ago having followed the kit instructions to the letter. The SG came out exactly as predicted, and I sampled a bottle last night to check carbonation (and because I'd had a couple of Brewferm Diablos already and thus my judgement wasn't at its best...). Can't believe how good this is already. Not quite the same as the commercial stuff, but that's not to say it's worse - maybe maltier and slightly less hoppy but the closest I've got so far to commercial quality. If you follow the kit instructions with the can of malt and bag of DME it's quite pricey but still comes in at a fraction of the commercial version, and is definitely worth a go!

Latest posts

Back