Cooper's Stout with cocoa & molasses

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scots_Pagan

Reaction score
Decided to have a stab at making beer, since I had all the bits and bobs anyway through wine & mead making...
Picked up one of these kits for £7 in tescos, couldn't resist!
hE7jyRJ.jpg

Couldn't just be a normal one tho, have to experiment. Decided to add 100g of molasses & 50g fat-reduced cocoa.
Here's the cocoa going in:
LxXYTRJ.jpg

OG was 1.044. Left it in the tank for about 3 weeks, then batch primed about half for drinking out the pressure vessel and another half in bottles...
Had some over Christmas...only started this in November, so it was a bit "raw", but even so, very nice. I think if I were to do this again, I'd leave off the molasses, or only put a bit in - even at only 100g, it leaves a little aftertaste...that said, last time I had some the other day it had decreased a fair whack, so maybe just a patience issue (i.e I have none)..>

I only lightly primed it, so it's nice and easy to drink; head retention isn't spectacular but I didn't have any liquorice root, and I use plain brown sugar, no LME, DME or even dextrose...

w3vxK1r.jpg

rMtSMmI.jpg

I will definitely be making this again..tho first SWMBO obeyed has requested a rekorderlig-style mild fruit cider...
Anyone any suggestions for where to get such a kit?

Cheers!

Back