Copper cooling coil - cleaning before first use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I've made myself a 10mm copper cooling coil today šŸ„³. I presume I should clean this before first use, and just wondering what others have done. I'm tempted to boil up some water in the boiler and pop it in for 10 mins? Just concerned about anything on the copper I need to remove before first use, thus not ruining a brew. I'm also thinking about making a VWP solution and wiping the coil and rinsing?? Cheers.

Thanks for your replies. Im going to hose it down after use and pop it into the boiler to steralize before each use, however I was more wondering if I should clean the copper in any way before first use - not sure if the copper will have any oils/residue etc from the factory I should try and remove so it doesn't affect the beer. I think I'm going to give it a good clean with a cloth with soap then VWP. It looks very clean and I didn't see/feel any oils etc when bending the copper, just being extra cautious. šŸ‘

Back