Corks sticking to bottles.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledAdam

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with my corks sticking to the inside neck of the bottles. I soak them before using a hand corker and then covering with a shrink top. My bottles are always stored on their side too.

Am I able to lubricate the bottle neck at all?

Hi, in what way are they sticking? Are bits being left behind, or are they just hard to put in/extract? The first problem is solved by using better corks and the second shows that they are a good fit! What type of corker are you using? a two handed type? If so a bench corker might help (or some DIY with a converted bench drill).

Im using the youngs corks from wilkos. They go in with no trouble, but they are very hard to extract. It's like they've been glued to the bottle! I have to use a knife to try pry the cork off the bottle before being able to use the cork screw to remove.

Hi, you could be soaking them to long, they only need less than a minute. also corks can vary in size between brands so might be worth trying some other makes (pennies willing) Or try a better corkscrew, the thinner the screw the better (and the more expensive usually)! Mine came from freecycle with a load of other bits and retails for over £30!! It's fantastic tho, clamp it round the bottle lift the lever push the lever down then back up again, no effort, no struggling, no crumbling, cork out!! (will try to find manufacturer if your interested).

Latest posts

Back