Cornie kegs - new user

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuwatkins5

Reaction score
Hi guys,
can anyone recommend a good place where I can pick up used / reconditioned Cornie kegs relatively cheaply?
I'd also be looking for a CO2 bottle and regulator, and wonder what I should be looking out for.

I'm looking to have 2 kegs on the go at any one time, and wonder if I need to fit some kind of isolator valve to each keg to avoid losing gas when one is disconnected. I know that the quick disconnect valves connect to the keg, but do these stop CO2 flow when unconnected?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately good cheap cornies are hard to come by these days. Norman - Normannumpa - in the links section at the top of the page would be a good place to look. Failing that ebay often has them. As for gas you need to check out your local area. Asking in your local where they get their gas would be good place to start. But as you are just starting out on the road of kegging you should also consider Crusader Sankey kegs. Price is about the same, but new kegs and less hassle. You will still need the gas and regulators, and also a sankey connector or two. These are what pubs use. So tried and tested equipment.

Have a scan through THIS thread to see if any of the supplier are near you.

I'd check here:
http://www.candirect.de
The imported kegs from Germany with replaced seals and pressure testing are usually cheaper than eBay for god knows what!!
Give the website a a good looking over as the deals are often well hidden in offers!!

bobsbeer said:
Unfortunately good cheap cornies are hard to come by these days. Norman - Normannumpa - in the links section at the top of the page would be a good place to look. Failing that ebay often has them. As for gas you need to check out your local area. Asking in your local where they get their gas would be good place to start. But as you are just starting out on the road of kegging you should also consider Crusader Sankey kegs. Price is about the same, but new kegs and less hassle. You will still need the gas and regulators, and also a sankey connector or two. These are what pubs use. So tried and tested equipment.

Have a scan through THIS thread to see if any of the supplier are near you.

Thanks Bob, I managed to find a potential CO2 Supplier in my area from that link, fingers crossed they can help me. In terms of the Sankey Kegs, what size do they come in as I do approx 30L batches at the moment. Gonna have to do a bit of reading up on them me thinks, but in the meantime, can you suggest anywhere that I could pick them up quite easily?

Kinleycat said:
I'd check here:
candirect.de
The imported kegs from Germany with replaced seals and pressure testing are usually cheaper than eBay for god knows what!!
Give the website a a good looking over as the deals are often well hidden in offers!!

Thank you Kinleycat, I'll be sure to check this out.
Gonna look into the Sankey Keg's which Bob has suggested too.

Still need some help on the CO2 connector valves though? do the Quick Disconnect valves on Cornie's stop the CO2 flow when they're disconnected from the Keg? sorry if that sounds like a daft question... just not seen a Keg setup in a while, not since thinking about setting one up for myself anyway :wha:

Fyi i use corny's and am considering the shift to sankey kegs as Bob has suggested.
google crusader kegs for their online store for new ones 20, 30, 50, 100l...

One thing however corny kegs are idiot proof and safe, while to enable easy home removal of the sankey keg spear (dip tube equivalent) a safety catch is generally removed or bypassed. this will allow the unscrewing of the spear when the keg is under pressure, SO ITS CRUCIAL TO ALWAYS CONFIRM A KEG IS DEGASSED BEFORE REMOVING THE SPEAR.. otherwise under pressure it could leave the keg at a hell of a speed taking your head with it..

Also kegs are just the storage aspect of a dispensing system, and its best to consider the cost of the complete system including temperature control over the kegs/beer, as the beers condition is set with a balance between pressure and temperature. and beer will hold condition according to temp, so if too warm you wont serve beer just foam.

I keep my kegs out in the coolest spot possible, but when warm i need to serve via a shelf chiller as without it all i pour is foam.

stuwatkins5 said:
Kinleycat said:
I'd check here:
candirect.de

Thank you Kinleycat, I'll be sure to check this out.
Gonna look into the Sankey Keg's which Bob has suggested too.

Still need some help on the CO2 connector valves though? do the Quick Disconnect valves on Cornie's stop the CO2 flow when they're disconnected from the Keg? sorry if that sounds like a daft question... just not seen a Keg setup in a while, not since thinking about setting one up for myself anyway :wha:
Yes they do mate. :thumb:

I've not long started kegging myself and think I would stick to the Cornies as I can get 4 kegs in my fridge/kegorator though at the moment I only have the 3 taps I have the other to fit

So 4 different types of beers in one unit now that cant be done with a Sankey I dont think

If any of my cornies die or need parts replacing ( unless it's just seals for £5) then I would consider the shift to sankey, if you are starting out then price difference is minimal between the 2 I believe

Back