Disconnect type for corny keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samosbrew

Reaction score
Hi there,

I recently picked up some used kegs and I'm trying to figure out what kind of disconnects I need. I think the gas and liquid posts are like these, but I'm finding it hard to tell and don't know what kind / size of disconnects I need (I also need to replace some of the missing O rings/seals for the posts). I've attached some photos. Is anyone able to help me identify the post type/size and what kind of disconnects I need (or let me know how I can figure it out)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4387.jpg
    IMG_4387.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4388.jpg
    IMG_4388.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
Hello,

Disconnects are one size, there are a couple of factors that differ.
Gas and liquid, or in and out are different. Think Grey for gas and black for liquid. Kegland have now added yellow for liquid and red for gas.
The new Kegland disconnect have inbuilt push fit fittings. So, in this case you can decide for either 3/8" or 5/16" gas and beer line.
These are the 3/8 kegland https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/pro...ct-gas-and-liquid-double-pack/?v=79cba1185463
These are traditional fitting that also utilise 3/8 line https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/keg-disconnect-set-inc-jg-fitting/?v=79cba1185463

For your posts, you require these:-
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/keg-post-o-rings-10-pack/?v=79cba1185463Ideally you lube them up, makes assembly easier and the last longer.

It's true. Disconnects are one size. Unless you started collecting Corny kegs at an early date.

That was when Coke-Cola were getting rid of their Corny kegs All "pin-lock" which is a much better system than "ball-lock" where you can easily push the wrong disconnect on the wrong post, then spend ages trying to get them apart again! But the real pain with pin-locks is they come in different thread sizes ... at least two sizes (I've two sizes). You don't notice they are different threads until you muddle them up!

@borischarlton - thanks, that's really helpful. Any views on what's the value of choosing different sizes for the lines (3/8" or 5/16")?

@peebee - that's interesting! I've no idea how to tell hold early my keg is, but I guess not a pin lock! I shall have to put something colourful on my kegs so I don't mix them up. It's written on which post is which, but not entirely easy to see.

No, you keg is not pin lock, it ball lock. This is because it has ball bearings in the disconnect that creates the mechanism.

For gas line, it really doesn't matter for the diameter of the line, just what's easier or what you already have. Most use 3/8 but is can be dropped down to get through small gaps ( such as a fridge drain hole ).
For the product out, it is a bigger discussion as it completely depends on how you are going to serve, beer type, temperature. For the get go I would recommend the 8mm ( 5/16 ) line with the Kegland flow control disconnect. Whilst it won't be right in every situation it will work of a sort, almost everywhere. Plus it's a cheap way to start that you will continue to use.

Back