Corny keg quick disconnects - limited height?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamR

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been brewing all grain for several years now and although I read the forum occasionally I've decided to join because I can't find the answer to my question anywhere else.

I have a 3-keg keezer which I'm slowly upgrading and expanding as time and cost permits. I've recently added the third keg. As it has to sit on the compressor hump, there is much less head space between it and the hinged top of the keezer. I was hoping that it would still be enough room, but with the height of the quick disconnects and John Guest beer line couplers, it turns out the lid won't close. The JG coupler is just a tad too long. So, I'm looking for suggestions!

It would work with the stainless steel QDs manufactured by Keg King, as they are short and the thread comes out perpendicular to the base, unlike the plastic ones which come out at an upwards angle. The problem is the one I bought seemed to cause the gas to leak from the keg when connected, and as they're expensive I'm reluctant to try another pair on the off chance the one I got was defective.

Other options I've considered are raising the height of the collar by about 1cm (cheap but time consuming), or perhaps going with a barbed QD because they look like they might be a bit shorter (but I don't know for sure). What might be easiest and cheapest (if they exist!) is a shorter elbow/right angle alternative to the JG coupler - has anyone seen them around?

Grateful for all input!

Sam

just checked 2 of my disconnects 1 x hosetail fitted and 1 x jg fitting fitted the hosetail extends the same distance as than the JG im afraid ;)

ps the hosetail is a screw on part just the same as the jg connector being thinner in diameter ther is possibly a mm or so of height saving But then you have the beerline extending off just the same..

you need more height or a smaller 10l corny ;)

How much height do you need to lose? Not at home so can't check but can the base of the corny be cut to lose a bit of height? I know the bottom of the kegs are rounded down but there maybe a 5-10mm saving to be had there.

You could try ringing johnguest and see if they may have something else you can use
John Guest Limited
Horton Road, West Drayton, Middlesex UB7 8JL, UK.
Tel: (00 44) (0) 1895 449233

Quick search threw these up https://www.morebeer.com/products/ball-lock-bev-stainless-flared.html

Very expensive, are these the ones you tried?

Thanks for the responses guys.

I hadn't thought about trying to trim off some of the rubber. Interesting idea. I would have thought 5-10mm would be enough.

Fil, is your QD with the hose tail a threaded one, or is the barb molded into the plastic? Because the ones with the built-in barbs seem like they might be ever so slightly shorter...

My QDs have the hose barb fitting screwed onto the same thread the JG connects to, well the few at hand are at least..

Just following up on this in case brewers of the future are interested. I bought two barbed QDs (with the barbs molded into the plastic), and they are just that bit shorter that when the beer line is attached the lid can close. Success!

Just following up on this in case brewers of the future are interested. I bought two barbed QDs (with the barbs molded into the plastic), and they are just that bit shorter that when the beer line is attached the lid can close. Success!

congrats.. got a linky??

Latest posts

Back