Country wines straight into the Demijohn?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_birdseye

Reaction score
Hi, after reading a few country wine books they all seem to recommend doing an initial fermentation in a plastic bucket rather than a DJ. I haven't got a bucket, can I shove everything straight into a DJ? I know I'll have to rack an extra time. Cheers

do you have a big bowl instead? you sort of can but it's messy and fiddly, and you need two dj's...blend the fruit then ferment that in a DJ for 5 days, then strain it off into a large bowl or something and transfer the juice into a DJ. you need to blend it so it fits through the neck, hahah...

Depends what you're making, if there's loads of stuff that needs to come out at some point a demi is a pain. Eg would you really want to try to clean masses of dandelion petals out of one? Or get loads of plum pulp out?
The buckets are cheap enough, but any food grade container the right size will do - maybe you're not going to be using your biggest stainless steel saucepan for a few days? etc.

sorry mate, bite the bullet and buy a two gallon bucket, it will be the best buy you will do for a while, i get mine from the local sandwich shop as they get food products delivered in food grade white two gallon buckets,

i only buy the sticky bun out of politeness and really hate eating all those cream cakes :rofl:

Back