Craft Beer or crafty labeling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berk said:
brewtim said:
Tis funny that the historical meaning of ale is an alcoholic beverage fermented from unhopped wort, whereas beer is an alcoholic beverage fermented from hopped wort. So what does that make 'real ale' ? Huh?

:wha:

This is something that I have been pondering, I know terms can change their meanings over the years,but does anyone brew a traditional (craft) ale?

Quite a few years ago Fullers of London used to brew a 'mild' called Hock and (as far as I can remember) it was unhopped. I tried it once on a visit to Brighton, and wasn't all that impressed with it.

oz11 said:
I'm not convinced Hock was unhopped. Last time I looked for a recipe I found it was hopped with Target.

Ah I stand corrected. Maybe they used so few it just tasted like it was unhopped.

Ale before the middle ages would have had other bittering substances added such as herbs, rather than just be a boiled and fermented malt drink. Hops just made it better. But in many respects as a home brewer I don't really care what my beer/ale is called. If I am being honest some of it has been ****. And worse than commercial brews. Those tended to be back when I first started back in the late 70's, and it was a eureka moment when a brew came out good. I did eventually discover the reason. Sodium Metabisulphite, but that is another story. But I know my beer has wholesome ingredients, and has been showered with tender loving care. Whether that could be described as a Craft Beer, Artisan Brewed, or heavens above even Real, I don't care. According to CAMRA it's not Real Ale. I serve it with a CO2 aspirator, so that rules that one out. But it is generally good, so I'm going to throw another descriptive into the hat, Good Ale and on occasion Great Ale. :lol:

Quite a few years ago Fullers of London used to brew a 'mild' called Hock and (as far as I can remember) it was unhopped. I tried it once on a visit to Brighton, and wasn't all that impressed with it.

I'm not convinced Hock was unhopped. Last time I looked for a recipe I found it was hopped with Target.

Okay, cheers for the info. So no one else knows if any brewers are craftbrewing medieval ales?

Back