Culture storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
Had an unexpected chance of a brew day recently but hadn’t prepped a starter and only had liquid yeast. Tipped in two smackpacks to 23L but fermentation didn’t start for days. So I made a starter from another smackpack and lo and behold as soon as I had done so fermentation started in the fv. The starter is in a flask with the top covered in tinfoil. obviously I don’t want to waste the starter and intend making more of the same beer v soon. So I’ve read up on storing it and I think this is correct. I should wait until starter fermentation is complete, move the entire flask to a fridge, when the next batch of wort is ready in about 3 weeks - restore the culture to fermentation temp, pour off the liquid over the settled yeast, pour the yeast into the wort. Is this correct?

Yes sounds right. You might want to either save some boiled wort or make another small starter wort to wake up the yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back