Making and overbuilding a starter with White Labs next generation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galena

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I am having a bit of brain block and I have been away from brewing for awhile.

A typical old style pack of WLP yeast had 100Bn cells when new I believe, so how many Bn cells does the next generation have?
The packaging states it gives a pitch rate of 7.5M cells per ml, but I assume this is the target in the wort.
How many cells do the packages actually contain as I want to add this to a starter calculator to overbuild a culture?

Based on a 19 litre batch (as stated on the packaging) this should give 7.5 x 19 = 142.5Bn cells. Am I correct?

Yes I was recently wondering the same thing for the same reason as you were. It would be a lot easier if they stated it on the packet. I ended up with a Wyeast smack pack in the end but your calculation is correct.

Chris White was on a poscast recently and spoke about this. Think it was Beersmith podcast and he suggested minimum 200bn cells generally, but depends on the strain. Would need to listen again, so please don't take that as fact.

Last edited:
Chris White was on a poscast recently and spoke about this. Think it was Beersmith podcast and he suggested minimum 200m cells generally, but depends on the strain. Would need to listen again, so please don't take that as fact.
Interesting, according to my Yeast starter calculator, a 19L batch of ale at 0.75 millions/ml requires 156 Bn cells

Interesting, according to my Yeast starter calculator, a 19L batch of ale at 0.75 millions/ml requires 156 Bn cells
I use Brewfather which suggests approx. 200 billion for an ale less than 1.060 so that’s what I use. Which would still mean a starter for those new packs of White Labs.

I use Brewfather which suggests approx. 200 billion for an ale less than 1.060 so that’s what I use. Which would still mean a starter for those new packs of White Labs.
Agreed, my example is for a 1.044 brew which is what I usually brew at or thereabouts. For 1.060 my calculator agrees, I also use BF but tend to use Homebrew dads Yeast calculator though the results are normally the same.

Latest posts

Back