Czech Pils in the UK

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the one but thought I would up the ibu to about 30 rather than the 25 in the recipe. What mash temperature do you recommend? Think the recipe states 65c. I'm using the Urquell yeast. (Wlp800)
Is this Wyeast 2001? Have you used it before? I wouldn't mind trying a few liquid lager yeasts and Pilsner Urquell is my favourite lager. I tend to stick with S-23 or W 34/70.

Is this Wyeast 2001? Have you used it before? I wouldn't mind trying a few liquid lager yeasts and Pilsner Urquell is my favourite lager. I tend to stick with S-23 or W 34/70.

It's wlp800 which is the whitelabs equivalent of wyeast 2001. It's my first time using it, but from reading up it's supposed to be one of the yeasts that do well at higher fermentation temperatures although I'm going to play it safe initially and stick within the recommended temperatures. (Might ramp it up later if a corny keg gets emptied, but none available at the moment )
Instead of a starter i made a stovetop demijohn pilsner which has been fermented about 15c so will be interesting to compare the two.

It's wlp800 which is the whitelabs equivalent of wyeast 2001. It's my first time using it, but from reading up it's supposed to be one of the yeasts that do well at higher fermentation temperatures although I'm going to play it safe initially and stick within the recommended temperatures. (Might ramp it up later if a corny keg gets emptied, but none available at the moment )
Instead of a starter i made a stovetop demijohn pilsner which has been fermented about 15c so will be interesting to compare the two.
I'd be interested to hear how it comes out. If you'd be up for it I'm happy to do a swap. In terms of lagers I have a kolsch which I'm bottling soon. I'm really pleased with the sample I've had from the fermenter.

I'm not much of a lager drinker these days. Also I can't tell you what UK Staropramen or Pilsner Urquell tastes like (I've probably had them at some point).

But I was in Prague last week for work (yeah I know, hard life) and I can tell you the lager there is amazing - nothing like the fizzy p1$$ we get here.

Exactly as @jceg316 says, malty, biscuity and balanced. I think it was Pilsner Urquell specifically we were drinking - served without fail in a big thick heavy glass tankard. I even had a half light half dark one (pic below) - trust me, it's a thing! Now I'm seriously thinking can a newbie like me brew something like this?

View attachment 16791

I was just reading some recipes over on HBT and one thing the most popular ones have is a decoction mash. Whether they do a decoction mash in Prague pilsner I dont know but it may account for the difference with the "fizzy ****" we get here if the deconction mash in prague and dont for the same beer here

http://www.howtobrew.com/book/section-3/the-methods-of-mashing/decoction-mashing

https://byo.com/article/decoction-mashing-techniques/

Latest posts

Back