Dark Enkel (Belgian single)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oblivious

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

I brewed this last night, its light for a dubbel hence the name but mainly I want to test out the recipe and down the road up scale this to a Belgian Strong Dark ale and just as importantly I wanted to grown up the yeast for future uses!

Dark Enkel

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 21.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.03
Anticipated OG: 1.055
Anticipated SRM: 17.5
Anticipated IBU: 22.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
54.1 2.72 kg. Pale Malt(2-row)
23.9 1.20 kg. Munich Malt
9.9 0.50 kg. Dark candi syrup
5.0 0.25 kg. Special B Malt
4.5 0.23 kg. Wheat Malt
2.5 0.13 kg. CaraMunich 40

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.53 g. Goldings - E.K. Whole 3.80 22.6 60 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale

I'm quite keen on giving one of these belgium styles a go. I like belgium beers. I had a great month in Belgium when i did the 'tour round europe getting ******' in a campervan with my brother and a mate in the early nineties and it was a blast. Belgium roads had 3 lanes though. One for going one way, one for going the other and the centre lane was for overtaking-for everyone. Quite amusing at times. Also they had traffic lights that told you what the REAL traffic light was going to do. No-one told us so i'd stop at a red light and have cars steaming past me hooting and cursing me. Mad sods the belgiums. Good laugh though and not up themselves like their neighbours. Broke down in a tiny little town and had to wait ten days for a part. We lived in this little pub, got in there at opening and didn't leave till they chucked us out. It had an electronic dartboard and sold bowls of wonderful spaghetti for 70p. I lived on duvel and spaghetti for ten days. :D

Oblivious said:
Duvel and spaghetti sounds like a very interesting combination :cheers:

After a week of it 'interesting' is definately a good term for the effects OB. :lol:

Latest posts

Back