De-labelling wine bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JhnMcK

Reaction score
I've de-labelled a load of wine bottles but the majority of bottles still have the glue left on the bottle. What's the best, most effective way to get it off? I am trying to get rid of the glue on those where it isn't thick with oil and kitchen roll but it just isn't working on other bottles

Acetone. It's used in nail varnish remover, albeit at a weak %. It's also used in hospital as a glue de-bonder. You can buy it on eBay for about £2.50 a litre.

Lakeland do a bottle of sticky stuff remover (and a box of individual wipes) which does the job pretty well. Although other suggestions on here will be cheaper...

Ever had a BBQ and made a chiller bin with ice and water? After a couple of hours and you pull a bottle out and it appears minus the label, not sure if it works on wine bottles but definitely does on beer

I fill my cool box with very hot water, I then put the bottles in and leave for 30 mins, that then removes most glue, you may want to scratch the plastic coated labels to aid the water soaking in. I use the cool box as it hold the heat, you will only need to remove a couple of litres and top up with hot water every few hours, I have done some bottles in the evening and tested the water the next morning and it was still really hot. You might find some fairy liquid or washing liquid helps too.

Very good shout on using BBQ lighter fluid. Found some in a tin cupboard in the garage and thought I'd give it a shot. Bottles are perfect. Label-free and now glue-free :D
I think it just helps presentation of your home brew wine in the clean bottles but I've now found what I hate the most with home brewing. I love the actual brewing, just sorting out the bottles which is a massive pain but I'm building up a supply of empty bottles that I should use. Safe to say, I'm properly hooked

Back