Degassing and plastic carboys.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bon79

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the whole wine making thing. Have my first batch on the go - a Wine Works Chardonnay. Just getting to thinking about degassing. I've read quite a bit on this forum and elsewhere, and am a little confused. I'll be using a paddle to degas, and was wondering if having spent a day doing that, it would be reasonable to then transfer it into the plastic carboy that came with the kit, and leave it in there for a week or so before bottling to allow some more time to degas naturally? Not sure if I'm over - thinking all this. Any help/opinions would be good.

If this is a 30 bottle kit you cannot shake it (as you can with a demijohn) to degas so your options are to use a paddle or degassing wand -

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-to-degas-wine-with-a-home-made-degassing-wand.48971/

There is no point in transferring to a second FV unless the instructions tell you to do so for clearing if they don't give it a good stir with the paddle then add the stabiliser, finings etc as instructed, a degasing wand makes the job a lot quicker in fact one minute is all it takes.

If you don't want to make one you can buy them fairly cheaply online -

Clean Express - Degassing Tool | Home Brew Online (home-brew-online.com)

1619016150258.png

Thanks for that - have ordered a wand so will see how that goes. Instructions do suggest transferring into the carboy before bottling, so I guess I'll do that. Cheers!

Have seen people degas using a vacuvin if the carboy is solid. Other option is a small vacuum pump ( aquarium type ) using it backwards ie air in attach via the bung hole.
I use the pump method and it has worked well on the 2 kits done so far.

Last edited:
I gave up actively degassing wine over a year ago and it's a lot lot easier and makes more sense for letting the wine clear as well, just give it a week longer than planned, the ambient minor temperature changes will help degas the wine too but any fluid left long enough will degas to equalise with ambient pressure over about a week.

I'm going a step further with my current wine kit as I'm fed up of the 'kit' taste in most of the wines made. So I'm not using the stabiliser (sorbate & sulphite) or finings. They aren't strictly necessary and I'll just let time do the work instead.

Anna

I quite agree DocAnna,
In my Fathers day winemaking was a hobby that required patience and lots of it.!!!
You cant beat bulk production.

Fellow forum member LisaMC has the right idea, In a few months from now she will be totally self-sufficient in wine.

I was a few years ago as well.

Failing bulk production,Modern Kits are good for getting something drinkable in a few weeks.
So that is one advantage kits do have.
But I do agree Kit wine is better if made according to the old ways.
For the simple reason in a wine the yeasts job does not end with fermentation,It also plays a part in maturation.
This is lost in 7 and 30 day kits.

Back