Digital thermometer recommendation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My digi thermometer (no brand Chinese thing) takes an absolute age to read temperature. Like a few mins. Zzzzzzzz....

So, can anyone recommend a digi thermometer that reads quickly, has a reputation for accuracy, and bonus points if fairly common so I can be a tight **** and look out for a second hand one in fleabay.

I find This one is very good:

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 13.01.44.png

Thermapen

They're rapid and come calibrated. My most treasured brewing gadget.

If you get the 'Classic' version (on offer here: https://thermapen.co.uk/thermapen-thermometers/48-thermapen-classic-orange.html) then be careful to not put any of the plastic casing in liquid as it's only splashproof (although that goes for any digital thermometer).

The Thermapen 'One' is more expensive, but IP67, reads in one second and has a number of other useful features (back light, auto off, easier battery changes), which I think are worth the bit extra if you're splurging.
£59 here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166690530431
£50 'refurb' here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374499336492

I have the basic Thermapen.

Doesn't just get used for brewing though, I use it often for barbecuing, cooking steaks, checking the Sunday roast doneness, and a fair few other cooking duties. Worth it for that alone.

I have the basic Thermapen.

Doesn't just get used for brewing though, I use it often for barbecuing, cooking steaks, checking the Sunday roast doneness, and a fair few other cooking duties. Worth it for that alone.
+1 to all that. Don't forget doing mashed potatoes properly.... Thermapens are great.

I don't find myself thinking "it takes a long time to settle down", but I guess you could get the One if that's an issue for you.

Worth mentioning that they're like Inkbird, they always have deals on for Black Friday and similar events.

Talking of which, IIRC Inkbird now do an equivalent.

I too use the basic thermapen ( usually cheaper direct from the manufacturer) as it comes calibrated and can be recalibrated if you have a problem. I tend to use this to compare the accuracy of my other Chinese thermometers and also to calibrate my inkbird and Rapt controllers.
I have recently purchased a RAPT blue tooth thermometer and found it to be very accurate.

I love the Thermapen so much I bought a second to keep in the kitchen.

Checking meat and fish internal temperature is par for the course, but a fast reading of temperature is great for things like sauces with eggs in them, where you want to slow down heating and stir furiously between 60 and 70C so you don't end up with scrambled eggs in your hollandaise as the proteins coagulate.

I realise I'm the deviant here, not being a fan of the thermo pen or any of the thermometers with the probe hinged from the device. These all require hands on use, sticking you hand near hot things or liquids you'd rather keep your hand well away from. Risks of dropping said device into such liquids or contaminating either through splashing... or perhaps I'm just a bit risk averse ( sort of in my job description to be fair 😁)

I realise I'm the deviant here, not being a fan of the thermo pen or any of the thermometers with the probe hinged from the device. These all require hands on use, sticking you hand near hot things or liquids you'd rather keep your hand well away from. Risks of dropping said device into such liquids or contaminating either through splashing... or perhaps I'm just a bit risk averse ( sort of in my job description to be fair 😁)
nah just showing common sense

Jumping on the band wagon, I bought one of these last week, I was looking for a fridge thermometer but this was only 4 quid more, reads exactly what my thermopen says and is calibratable.

Thermometer

I get what DocAnna is saying, though, depending on use being able to dangle it in and leave it there (so to speak) is useful.

I’m unconvinced about the need for calibration - they all seem very accurate to me
I'm the opposite. When were mashing we are only really interested in a 6-8°C window, accuracy is key for me. I'd prefer to be ±0.4 from, say, 68°C, than ±1 from somewhere around the high 60's.

Either way the end product is beer, but I'd like to get close to what I'm predicting with Beersmith, consistently.

I'm the opposite. When were mashing we are only really interested in a 6-8°C window, accuracy is key for me. I'd prefer to be ±0.4 from, say, 68°C, than ±1 from somewhere around the high 60's.

Either way the end product is beer, but I'd like to get close to what I'm predicting with Beersmith, consistently.
I didn't mean accuracy isn't important 🙂 just that the callibration on these things compares very well to the digital sensors I use for monitoring the mash, which use a band-gap reference instead of a thermocouple and are spec'd to +/- 0.5ºC.

Doing a very quick and rather unscientific test of dunking them all into the same jug of hot water just now, the cheapo meat thermometer reads 43.2ºC and the three band-gap sensors read 43.6, 43.8 and 43.8. That's good enough for me!

IMG_9814.jpeg
IMG_9815.jpeg

Back