Diploma in Brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attwell

Student to the game
Reaction score
Alright lads!

Have a burning question/s about the Diploma in Brewing course done by the Institute of Brewing & Distilling. The issue I have is that I have no GSCE's, university quals when it comes to science... I've been in contact with someone from the IBD and she has said if I start off in the Fundamentals/Certificate courses and work my way up I will be fine due to their courses getting you ready.

My issue is that I want to start the process but am unsure if she is telling me what I want to hear or that it is genuinely possible to do in my case.

Any advice or help would be great!

Thanks,

Attwell

Alright lads!

Have a burning question/s about the Diploma in Brewing course done by the Institute of Brewing & Distilling. The issue I have is that I have no GSCE's, university quals when it comes to science... I've been in contact with someone from the IBD and she has said if I start off in the Fundamentals/Certificate courses and work my way up I will be fine due to their courses getting you ready.

My issue is that I want to start the process but am unsure if she is telling me what I want to hear or that it is genuinely possible to do in my case.

Any advice or help would be great!

Thanks,

Attwell

Not sure about the diploma you mentioned but I’ve done a professional brewing course almost three years ago in Sunderland. The course is run by Brewlabs who are amazing, they do a huge array of courses and I can’t recommend them enough. I’m sure you’ll find exactly the course you need but as always it’s not cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure about the diploma you mentioned but I’ve done a professional brewing course almost three years ago in Sunderland. The course is run by Brewlabs who are amazing, they do a huge array of courses and I can’t recommend them enough. I’m sure you’ll find exactly the course you need but as always it’s not cheap.

First off thank you for the reply! I'm going to look into it right after I've posted this reply. Did you have any scientific quals or a significant amount of knowledge on the science side of brewing before you took up the course? & If you did or didn't did you feel like it was necessary for the course or that significant knowledge in brewing would be all you needed to start?

Just completed a Brewlab wild yeast course. It was brilliant! Their team are Soooo friendly and helpful, it feels like you are actually becoming part of the 'Brewlab club' they also do my analysis.

I'm now tempted by their online course; https://www.brewlab.co.uk/courses/online-courses/s-11. It costs, but FFS it was worth every penny IMHO.

Now attempting to grow oyster mushrooms on spent grain and our Kombucha tea product is working well. Also doing sour dough and set up my own micro biology mini-lab. That's a lot of new brewing related diversification for us from a two day course.

First off thank you for the reply! I'm going to look into it right after I've posted this reply. Did you have any scientific quals or a significant amount of knowledge on the science side of brewing before you took up the course? & If you did or didn't did you feel like it was necessary for the course or that significant knowledge in brewing would be all you needed to start?

No I had read quite a lot on the subject but no formal qualms at all, I was the only one on my course that wasn’t starting a brewery. Don’t worry about knowledge they will teach you all you need to know. They get a lot of overseas students as well as it’s a very well renowned place to learn, google it. You do get to go to Sunderland uni for the day for the micro biological side. That’s easy enough though, looked at slides of bacteria, shown how to do a yeast cell count etc etc. I have all the kit now at home to count yeast cells which is very very handy, no more guess work. I have gone mental on my setup though, probably twice the price of a micro brewery [emoji23][emoji23]

No I had read quite a lot on the subject but no formal qualms at all, I was the only one on my course that wasn’t starting a brewery. Don’t worry about knowledge they will teach you all you need to know. They get a lot of overseas students as well as it’s a very well renowned place to learn, google it. You do get to go to Sunderland uni for the day for the micro biological side. That’s easy enough though, looked at slides of bacteria, shown how to do a yeast cell count etc etc. I have all the kit now at home to count yeast cells which is very very handy, no more guess work. I have gone mental on my setup though, probably twice the price of a micro brewery [emoji23][emoji23]

Alright nice to know, was in contact with the IBD and they said its possible to do their courses with no prior scientific quals but It would help. Nice to know its actually possible and that they didn't just tell me what I wanted to hear. Sounds like you have a pretty complicated set up at home but I bet everything you learned and having that set up helps tremendously! Once again thanks for your input!

Latest posts

Back