Disgraceful Headline from the Guardian

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From 24m ago

Starmer avoids fine as Durham police say 'no case to answer' and no fines being issued​

Durham police are not fining anyone over beergate, they have announced.
That means Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner are not being fined - and won’t have to resign (which they promised they would do if they were fined).
Here is the statement.
Following the emergence of significant new information, an investigation was launched by Durham constabulary into a gathering at the Miners’ Hall, in Redhills, Durham on 30 April 2021. That investigation has now concluded.
A substantial amount of documentary and witness evidence was obtained which identified the 17 participants and their activities during that gathering. Following the application of the evidential full code test, it has been concluded that there is no case to answer for a contravention of the regulations, due to the application of an exception, namely reasonably necessary work.
Accordingly, Durham constabulary will not be issuing any fixed penalty notices in respect of the gathering and no further action will be taken. The investigation has been thorough, detailed and proportionate.
The final evidence supplied by participants from the local constituency was returned to Durham police on 5 July and analysed by investigators against all the evidence before the investigation was concluded on 8 July 2022.
In line with established national policing guidelines, we will not name or otherwise identify any of those present at the gathering, all of whom have been informed of the investigation outcome by their legal representatives.

Innocent until proven guilty shouldn't need an explanation, "avoids fine" suggests guilty until proven innocent , is how I read it . I generally prefer the guardian as a UK source of news info , but this reads like something from the daily mail
Got it now. Agreed.
And glad to see you have the same high opinion of the Daily Mole that I have.

Watched it and impressed!

I loved how Mr Starmer pointed out the difference between Theresa May being ousted by the Tories (basically the Party disagreed with her Policies) and Boris being ousted by the same people (basically they got fed up with supporting his lies - again)!

Well worth watching - especially the absence of many Tory newspapers! I guess they will just have to lie, like they usually do!
:hat:

More directly on the point of the thread, doesn't it show that even the small sector of the press that would be expected to support Labour are so lukewarm about Starmer?

That doesn't mean I think it's 'disgraceful', BTW.

The Guardian must be reading this board. The headline now says

Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner cleared by Durham police of breaking lockdown rules​

They did change it pretty quickly but the original headline in the Guardian live or whatever they call it was as @Sorcerers Apprentice said. I would say I was worried I had stumbled on to the Mail by mistake but given that this was todays Mail headline
1C88218D-51D9-4F01-9C04-648FF8D843E8.jpeg
I think it is safe to say the Guardian hasn’t gotten quite that bad yet (so I will not be cancelling my guardian subscription quite yet).

More directly on the point of the thread, doesn't it show that even the small sector of the press that would be expected to support Labour are so lukewarm about Starmer?
I too was “lukewarm” (as I typed I remembered “Lukewarm” played by Christopher Biggins in Porridge :D) and didn’t even vote for him in the Labour Party Leadership contest.

However, having seen what Boris has done with the country over the last three years, I quite look forward to a dull, grey etc, but honest person as PM!
:hat:

Latest posts

Back