Disturbed yeast just before bottling in a fermentasaurus - add more finings?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Gents,

quick question; I bought a fermentasaurus gen 2 for doing all grain ales; at the time both my other FV's had beer in and I also had 23l wine on the go that needed racking with finings for the last week.

So I transfered the wine into the fermentasaurus and the wine was crystal clear as of yesterday. I thought I would try and get rid of the sediment through the bottom collecting jar and when I opened the valve it let some air bubbles up disturbing thd sediment. So I have gone from crystal clear white wine to somewhat cloudy.

Its ready to bottle question - should I add some Wilko finings to bring it all down again or will it settle out? Is about 20litres

as ever thanks

I'd leave it to settle and then bottle. Don't really see the point in adding more finings. Give it a week and see if it improves.

Been a couple of days starting to clear but not how it was; will the yeast that got thrown up effect taste you think?

Been a couple of days starting to clear but not how it was; will the yeast that got thrown up effect taste you think?
Unlikely, but it's likely to "fluff up" again when you pour the wine unless you decant it carefully. I'd leave it to settle, first.

You dont think the extra finings are worth ago; picked up a pack of Wilko for £1.25...

I did something similar with a mead.

I was having “a moment” and degassed it with the sediment in the DJ rather than racking it first... I have a toddler who doesn’t sleep... what can you do?

It murked up really badly so I just cold crashed it and it cleared up lovely in a week or two. Actually, it’s one of my better meads to date.

Back