Do I need a C02 valve?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt666

Reaction score
Currently got a Wherry conditioning in a Wilkos keg. It doesn't come with a c02 valve cap, just a standard screw top, but you can buy them for that keg. Question is, do I need one?

the co2 produced by the beer will be enough to start with but as you drink it you will need to replace the beer with c02
so in short yes

I've got two Wilkos kegs and what I found at first was that I could only get about 2/3 pints out. Its gets better the longer you leave it as the beer carbonates but you can still only get a few pints out. What you don't want is air being drawn in through the tap as this will oxygenate the beer and ruin it.

Anyway what I did was to buy a couple of S30 valves and a cylinder and when the flow slows down, I inject a one second squirt. Works brilliantly.

As darrenwest1 says, the answer is yes.

Good luck

:cheers:

FV1: Coopers English Bitter
FV2: Woodfordes Wherry
FV3: Empty

Conditioning: Coopers Stout, Coopers English Bitter, Coopers Wheat, Wilkos Delicate Pilsner,Coopers Dark Ale

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the replies. And is it OK to replace the standard cap with the C02 one at this stage, i.e. with beer conditioning in the keg? Or I suppose the sensible thing would be to wait until the beer struggles to get out, then replace the cap?

Cheers

I'm sure wiser heads than mine will also comment, but I would suggest doing it sooner rather than waiting until you can't get the beer out. The reason the beer won't come out it that there is effectively a vacuum being created - there is no gas to replace the space left by the beer coming out, so no more can come out. If you wait until this point, when you take the lid off a load of air will rush in and potentially contaminate the brew. If you do it now then the CO2 blanket should be intact and protect you from nasties getting in. Would be worth re-priming with a little sugar once you're done so it can pressurize itself back up.

Ah, thanks for the replies. And is it OK to replace the standard cap with the C02 one at this stage, i.e. with beer conditioning in the keg? Or I suppose the sensible thing would be to wait until the beer struggles to get out, then replace the cap?

Cheers

Forgot to say that there are two types of CO2 injector: S30, which takes the larger cylinder and the smaller bulb type. I only went with the S30 as it probably works out cheaper in the long run. The caps have different valves, you can't use an S30 valve with the bulb type and vice-versa.

Hope thats helpful

:-P

as wer says, do it now as if you wait for the "glug" you`ll have problems. if you only drink 3-4 pints at the weekend, you might not need additional co2 anyway.

Back