do I need to add a little sulphite before secondary ferment?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkster

Reaction score
Hi guys I know the answer is on here somewhere but I want interaction! lol

Primary is over today so will be pressing my grapes and transfering to 54 litre dj's.

Do I need to put any campden/sulphite in due to air contact whilst pressing and transfer or do I just whack an air lock strait on?

Duncan

prolix said:
I use a campden tablet every time I transfer

Thanks for the reply do you crush tablet and stir or do you just drop one in and let it sink or even crush and let sit on surface of meniscus?

Duncan

I wouldn't use one if i was priming bottles with sugar for a secondary fermentation to produce a sparkling drink as this my knock the yeast back to hard and therefor prevent a secondary fermentation.
Other than for this reason I would as prolix has said add a campden tablet per gallon or 5 litres at each racking.
Cheers Graham.

phoenix68 said:
I wouldn't use one if i was priming bottles with sugar for a secondary fermentation to produce a sparkling drink as this my knock the yeast back to hard and therefor prevent a secondary fermentation.
Other than for this reason I would as prolix has said add a campden tablet per gallon or 5 litres at each racking.
Cheers Graham.

Crikey so i'm in secondary at the moment (but not sugar primed as you say) with an aim to make a still red wine,

So when it comes to racking I have to add 11 campden tablets as I have a 54 litre DJ?

Duncan

I add some chemicals before I bottle just to be 100% certain things don't go pop, but while it is in the demijohn I let it do its magic. Its in a sterile and will go through all the maturing processes it needs. Maybe this is wrong? Not sure. I just know I am happy enough with it at the moment.

phoenix68 said:
I think you are getting confused, I know i am. Secondary fermentation is some thing that happens in the bottle where a small quantity of sugar is added before the bottle is sealed causing a secondary fermentation which traps carbondioxide in the wine making it fizzy.
please see this link hope it helps http://thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic ... 40&t=10334

Cheers Graham.

Thanks for the reply, your right i've read far too many posts/links and how too's and confused myself. lol

I'm in closed fermentation which is a continuation of the primary just wondered that when doing the crush and transfering to the DJ there is a lot of aeration so wouldn't some sort of campden be added but guess it would hinder the yeasties?

What about my earlier comment 11 campdens to 54L when I rack?

Thanks Duncan

Hi I'm going to pass the buck here Moley has written an excellent post on making WOW wursels orange wine,the second part of the post goes into great detail on racking what additives eg.campden tablets,all the way threw to bottling.Every thing in the second part of this post is applicable to most wines yours included.
Hope this link helps,http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=10179

Cheers Graham.

Back