PH 3.5 Do I need to add acid?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottE75

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just started 2 dj of apple juice, from a supermarket, to make cider (is it turbo?). I tested the PH, and it came out approx 3.5. Do I need to add acid? I have citric, malic and tartaric acid, in powder form, in my collection.
I've added 1 campden tab and pectilase to both, and I'm now waiting 24hrs before I add yeast, etc.

Thanks in advance : )

I'm no expert but if its a turbo cider. id keep it simple and not add anything. id bang the yeast in too if its the right temperature.

Cheers
Jay

I've been putting Malic Acid in mine lately. The first brew I've tried since doing it is nowhere near as bitter.
However I've never added camden tablets. I've never read of anyone using them for a turbo cider.
Why not add Malic Acid to one and see what the difference is.
I don't wait 24 hours to add the yeast either. I just rehydrate it for an hour or so and in it goes.

Having read a lot about different peoples recipes on here I've come up with this.

14.4 Litres Apple / Pear Juice - comes in 2.4 litre bottles, hence the .4
630g raw sugar (no exact science there, I just thought it would be a good amount)
Tannin - The juice from 4 tea bags- most people seem to add this
Pectolase - 3 tsp-as above
Glycerin - 3 tsp- adds mouthfeel, whatever that is.
Malic Acid - 3 tsp - decided to add this as some people do.
7 gram Mad Millie Cider Yeast

Thanks guys.

This is my first brew from scratch, and I am doing things I've read in my books and on the web. I'll take your advice Pete and just add acid to one and see how it goes.

yeh I vouch for all that, I've not put any acids or campdens in my TC's and turned out pretty good so far, no need to hang about with yeast either, so long as it's warm enough to get started (c 20deg) then chuck it on. a little cooler is OK, it will just take a bit longer to get to SG 1.000

I always just chuck in the dried yeast out of the packet, have sprinkled on top and mixed it in, not noticed any different results :)

Thank guys :thumb:

I'm just going to add my yeast now. I'm rehydrating it, and it's going nuts!!!

I'll post it on the 'brew days' thread.

Thanks again! : )

Latest posts

Back