Does making home brew increase consumption?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok I have a general rule that I try and avoid drinking during the week and then have an enjoyable but not binge amount on the weekends. Since cracking open my very first bottle at the end of last week I have drunk one 1 litre of lovely, cold, refreshing...o what was I saying ...o yes I have drunk every night. So does brewing your own make you drink more?

Also is HB more fattening than store bought products?

And yes my two questions are related!

I would answer yes to the first question. Since I started I upgraded fairly quickly as I wanted the full experience. I've now got a home bar with a tap which runs straight from the kegerator. It's too easy to get in on an evening and pull yourself a pint! Love it though!

In answer to your second question I don't know the exact answer but I would prob say not. After all it's made in the same way if your brewing from grain!

Fatty fat wise, its down to how much malt and sugar you put in. The weaker, the less caloriesis

I have a pint every night or two, drank a lot when I first started brewing buy less now. Weekends ill have 4 pints or so, never really go over that.

I have said many times, "make it faster than you can drink it, that's the only way it's ever going to get proper chance to mature".

The flip side is that when you have made plenty and have got a stash of wine or beer to hand, it becomes very easy to just go and grab a bottle of something, in my case as soon as I get home from w**k.

Previously, with commercial wines at around a fiver a bottle and beers around four-for-a-fiver, the weekly cost was escalating and we had to limit the amount of alcohol in the week's shopping trolley. Now, with wines around 50p a bottle and beers around three-for-a-quid, financial restraints no longer apply.

Yes, it increases consumption.

Since our wine and beer came off the production line it's been hard keeping production ahead of consumption. So I think the answer to question 1 for us is a yes. Can't say I have put on weight though. Probably down to the extra exercise my arm is doing. :rofl:

Well, I say yes and no...

Before, I was drinking a bottle or 2 a night and few more at weekends... This was getting too expensive (and getting fed up with the usual rubbish they offered consistently and no decent prices on offer for a good beer), so decided to look in to homebrew... Then, I found I'd started drinking more of the commercial, as I'd bought a few bottles to drink the contents and keep the bottles for the homebrew. Then, once the bottles were there, started drinking less. Now, I have a good portion of homebrew in, and started drinking more as had to try to contents. Then, I'm drinking less as trying to keep down on the consumption :p

Hopefully, will end up drinking less or around the same as before once I have a good build up, and the novelty has worn off ;) :p

We've changed our consumption over the week, occasional beer weekdays, a couple or three beers at weekend, but no wine which was Friday Saturday Sundays consumption

6 or 9 pints over the 3 days @ weekend instead of 3 bottles of wine, is probably similar 'units wise', but not containing any form of chemical or additive which must be better :wha:

Financially, brewing the beer is better, especially AG, works out very cheap indeed :cheers:

+1 to drinking a bit more. Maybe it's just me but I rarely seem to get a pounding head from home brew if I have over indulged.

Is it fattening? Well I'm still in shape..admittedly round but that's still a shape,right? As long as I can still see me feet without leaning forwards to far.... :clap:

Rwilts said:
Ok I have a general rule that I try and avoid drinking during the week and then have an enjoyable but not binge amount on the weekends. Since cracking open my very first bottle at the end of last week I have drunk one 1 litre of lovely, cold, refreshing...o what was I saying ...o yes I have drunk every night. So does brewing your own make you drink more?

Also is HB more fattening than store bought products?

And yes my two questions are related!

Yes you will most likely drink more. I tend to have 2 or 3 during the week but I only ever binge at the weekend with mates :oops: . It gets harder to resist when you brew exceptional brews :S

As for more fattening, the stronger the beer the more calories it has, thats true with any beer, home made or store bought, it's all the same :thumb:

I'm with the consensus on here, definitely drink more... well I think I do anyway. Whereas before I'd have 2 cans of gassy inferior bitter, then feel bloated and not want anymore, now I'll probably revisit the keg a number of times each and every night. Saying that though, each pour (due to my kegs seeming to be incredibly lively) is probably only about 1/3 - 1/2 a pint once it's settled down!

As for more fattening, ABV plus volume of beer consumed is your enemy here. Alcohol isn't in an easily useable form for your body to use in respiration, so it will do what it can with any sugars in the beer and the alcohol it'll store for later use. In times of starvation, your body will turn fat reserves into sugars, and alcohol has got simple sugar molecules as part of the chain. The higher the ABV and the greater the quantity of it you drink, the more your body will become adept at storing the calories for future use. The same reasoning is why crash diets never work, your body spends the time whilst you're on the crash diet honing its ability to make use of every single calorie it can. When you reach the weight you want and then go back to a normal diet, all of a sudden there are more calories than the body needs and as it so honed at retrieving every last bit of energy from the food, the extra is put down as fat in case there is another starvation episode.

A lot of the above is being dragged from my degree taken over 15 years ago, so apologies if parts are vague or not quite remembered correctly!

Latest posts

Back