Does making home brew increase consumption?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, i'm drinking more beer since i started homebrewing. But also i'm drinking much less other alcohol - i almost forgot how tastes brandy or gin. During last 2 years i had a glass of wine only 1 or 2 times when we was visiting my parents, and had shot of vodka only once, again on visit to my parents. ;)

I can say i stopped drinking any other alcohol. Not bad. :D

I actually found it made me drink a bit less... :shock:

Why?

Well, we used to drink quite a lot of wine, and rarely buy beer. I had developed a fairly good tolerance for guzzling wine, and a bottle or more a night at the weekend and even on some school nights wasn't unusual...

Once I started brewing beer I was drinking much less wine, so in terms of units of alcohol, my consumption dropped.... also, with the cornies set up in a big fridge out in the shed, I'm even less inclined to keep traipsing out there, especially if the weather's crappy..

Finally, knowing that there was effectively an almost endless supply of beer weirdly made me totally chilled about it - there were no thoughts of "better get them drunk before she gets her hands on them" :lol: :whistle: Now, with beer readily available on tap, I'm almost lazy about drinking it :lol:

I don't drink more than I did before I just enjoy the quality of what I do brew more than shop bought or boozers from previous years.. :drink:
Oop's, nearly forgot the main thing....the savings. :lol:

BB :drink:

I drank more when I first started than I slowed a bit once I'd been brewing for a while, then I made my keggerator which is great but not so easy to keep track (you cant count the bottles) I go regular to the gym which helps with the beer belly.

the 1st few brew i made were quickly drunk but i guess that was just the novelty of having my own beer, since then i have got quite a goo stash together 5 kegs and around 100 bottles i would say i dont drink much more than before hb just enjoy it more when i do.
as for getting fat i did that years ago so no worries there :D

Before I started home brewing I used to go to the pub every day but never drank beer at home , only the occasional glass of wine for OH & me.

Now I only go about 3 times a week , but I do have 2 or 3 pint on the days I don't go and sometimes a glass of homemade wine.

jobby said:
since then i have got quite a goo stash together 5 kegs and around 100 bottles

Ahem......... cough :lol:

And do you perchance have any pics of said stash? - or have you not seen my thread yet :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Get it up there jobby :party: :party:

;)

:cheers:

oldstout said:
jobby said:
since then i have got quite a goo stash together 5 kegs and around 100 bottles

Ahem......... cough :lol:

And do you perchance have any pics of said stash? - or have you not seen my thread yet :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Get it up there jobby :party: :party:

;)

will get a pic asap :oops:

These long weekends certainly increase my consumption, will be down to 2 barrels and some bottles at the end of the holiday. Might need to get an extra brew on to stock up.

dennisking said:
These long weekends certainly increase my consumption, will be down to 2 barrels and some bottles at the end of the holiday. Might need to get an extra brew on to stock up.
Same here, can't keep up with demand. :eek:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
dennisking said:

Hope your brewing some for the hot break John.

dennisking said:
BarnsleyBrewer said:
dennisking said:

Hope your brewing some for the hot break John.
I'll bring a couple of crates down Dennis, might enter the comp... :thumb:

oldstout said:
Yes and no.

And up to now I've still got my six pack ;)

Yes and yes (if you brew high strength beers) but I gave up on the six pack years ago and opted for the party seven.

I have found that I'm drinking a little more now I'm doing the homebrew, two reasons
1) I have it in the shed, so if I run out all I have to do is walk to the shed and replenish. Where as if I bought it from the supermarket I would be stuffed if I run out.
2) I enjoy homebrew more than most supermarket beers, therefor it's harder to resist.

Regarding the fat... I'm now going to the gym more than before to combat those extra cals

yes, drinking more but don't seem to suffer after effects half as much than from commercial brews. Difficult to say no when you know theres a couple of barrels in the cellar :cheers:

fattening? Don't think so... :wha:

Latest posts

Back