Double McTwist IPA - 22/02/10

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysterio

Reaction score
Evening Chaps, Jims is down so its about time I posted a Brewday thread on here :D

Actually I'm mashing this tomorrow but I would welcome suggestions in the recipe as it's not set in stone.

Should be a hoppy one :grin:

US-05 yeast mashing @ 68C

Double McTwist IPA
American IPA

Type: All Grain
Date: 22/02/2010
Batch Size: 45.43 L
Boil Size: 52.01 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 EBC) Grain 49.62 %
5.20 kg Lager Malt (3.0 EBC) Grain 39.69 %
0.90 kg Munich Malt - 20L (39.4 EBC) Grain 6.87 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (60.0 EBC) Grain 3.82 %
100.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
50.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.2 IBU
100.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.00 %] (10 min) Hops 25.5 IBU
100.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.00 %] (0 min) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.5%
Bitterness: 60.8 IBU
Est Color: 13.6 EBC

I was using Nottingham for a while as an alternative to US-05 (cause it floccs better) but theres a dodgy batch of it going about :shock:

Back to US-05 :D

Nottingham is class in a bottle but it has nowhere near the taste profile of 05, yum yum :D I'm happy to waste 20mm in every bottle for the 05

Calum, are you going to the Market Gallery Pub thing in Glasgow?

Here's a few crappy pics from the brew day:

ipa.jpg

boil.jpg

wort.jpg

mysterio said:
Calum, are you going to the Market Gallery Pub thing in Glasgow?

I have been in touch with Eric but its a logistical nightmare for me so I am not going to be able to be able to provide beer.

I have to admit that I also have reservations about what is in it for your normal homebrewer. Its an art festival and they are trying portay home brewing as an art form. I get that. However I don't think most home brewers will share that enthusiasm to the point that they want to donate their wares to the cause (especially in the quantities that he is trying bring in).

I read the JBK thread and noticed that you were hoping to participate. I assume you are cool with the idea?

I'm no stranger to giving away large quantities of beer for little or no thanks :lol:

I'm up for it in theory, I've got some free time to brew over the next month so why not.

mysterio said:
I'm no stranger to giving away large quantities of beer for little or no thanks :lol:

I'm up for it in theory, I've got some free time to brew over the next month so why not.

I genuinely hope it goes well. From what I have tasted I'm sure your beer will be very well received. :cheers:

Back