DP-Simonds(Reading) Bitter (1880)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been brewing this today-I quite like the 3 hr mash-means i can concentrate on comsuming some brews. Or moving a fridge, plumbing in some lines and connecting up a cornie to work from my new 'Bar'. Shame the cornie is now empty and i have NO MORE BREW :shock: Getting cold turkey already so have hit the rum, again...

Recipe 30L est OG-1069

7560g MO
1320g Carapils

Mash at 66C for 3hr's. Raise temp to 77C for 30 mins.
Sparge very slowly for 2 hr's.

90 Min boil
HOPS
213g EKG
32g Fuggles-5 mins

3 tsp Irish Moss

Thames Valley Yeast- huge 4L starter-which currently is going like the clappers.

I collected 41L @ 1056, a bit under but i'll boil fierce without the lid and get the gravity up to about 1068-1070. Where it should be. Means a fairly high evap rate but hey, **** happens....

Of to check on the boil. Wort is up to 82C...

Nice steady fast boil on the go. I reckon i'll knock the burner back to a rolling boil after half an hour. I'll end up with about 30L at 1068 ish...
I love DP Beer. All hail DP. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonder if any of this will make it past day 5 :lol:

I am everything that moderation stands for, i'll have you know :whistle: :lol:

Chilling my wort down now. It all went rather swimmingly really. Got good extraction from my grains, even though i overshot the intended vol and gravity target. But that was me rather than my system. Which has done about a dozen brews now and this is the first that is back to normal without any fuss arsing around.

Might get the opportunity to brew mid-week as the weather looks like it's going tit's up on wed/thurs. Which is good as i have 100L(as from an hours time) fermenting away. 70L of which will need to be racked off mid-week and i'm keen to dump a brew straight on top of the Thames Valley yeast from the Shelob's Sting-with another batch of SS. :party: I love Shelob's Sting, Marvellous brew. :cool:

Must get a hop and yeast order into Ross asap as i'm running low on hops and keen to try a couple new yeasts. I want another batch of ESB(yeast) too. I love that yeast as it matches strong Ales so well IMO. Similar to Thames Valley in that respect but with a more malty, sweet profile. Shame it doesn't like being grown on much-about twice is the max before it goes a bit crook.

Glad you had a good brew MEB, sounds like you've got your stocks up :thumb:

They are getting there again. But i have nothing to drink :-( Even out of rum now :cry:

Latest posts

Back