Dried Orange Peel for Wheat beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerfeld

Reaction score
Hi folks

I am planning to get my Cooper Wheat beer on the go shortly and want to make a beer that tastes as much like Hoegarten as possible.

I believe one of the ingredients that would help is bitter orange peel but I can only find dried orange peel at a reasonable price.

Does anyone know if there is any difference?

thanks

Just put on a Black Rock kit with Curaçao peel, thread in the brewday section. Got some spare peel if you want me to send you some or drop it off as I'll probably be down that way next week. It might be interesting to swap a bottle or two when we've both got them done if you fancy it? PM me if you want some.

I added 2 tablespoons of Curaçao peel to mine today. That seems to be a reasonable amount looking around the web. I got it up to the boil with 15g coriander seeds and then turned off and left it for 15mins. Smelt good :)

thanks for the replies.

BeerCat, would you say 25g was the right amount then? Does it taste like Hoegarten?

cheers

Right folks, finally got the wheat beer on tonight. Any tips for how and when to add the orange and corrianda?
I was thinking of making a tea with them in week 2 of fermentation.

Cheers

I added some orange zest to my keg and left it for 2 weeks but watch you don't over do the zest or it will turn out too orangey

Sorry, another question.
I have few days of next week, so I'm hoping to finally get this wheatbeer kit done.
With regards to the coriander seeds and orange peel - did you
1. stir this to the extract and filter out before FV.
2. add to the FV and leave in
3. or can I get away with soaking a bag of the ingredients in the wort for a certain amount of time?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back