Kits I Wouldn't Brew Again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Following my post within the 'What Kit Beer Are You Drinking Tonight?' thread, and a suggestion from another member, I'm starting this thread for anyone looking for guidance on what kits to potentially avoid. As @alfajerry quite rightly pointed out to me, it's all a matter of taste, and everyone has their own opinion, so don't take any guidance here as gospel - it is opinion and guidance!

I'll kick it off with my opinion - Mangrove Jacks Single Hopped Nelson Sauvin IPA. I actually watched the Partridge Brothers' YouTube review of this kit while pondering whether to buy it. Their review wasn't too great, however, the price I was looking at for the kit was low - B2B were selling it at a bargain price because it only had a month left on the Best Before date. My thoughts were that it wouldn't be that bad, so I bought it. I don't regret buying it - it's actually 'OK', but I wouldn't buy it again.

For me, it didn't match any descriptors on the package. There is no rich and fruity aroma - only a hint of fruit, maybe even a piney/pithy aroma. The colour is a dark amber/copper - not vibrant gold. The taste does have a lingering bitterness but doesn't seem as dry as described - which might actually be OK for some people! Note that the deviations from the descriptors could be due to the BB date being almost reached, or even storage conditions on my part or B2B's part, although I did store it in a cupboard that is cool. I did also brew it short at 21L rather than 23L, which could account for a slightly darker colour, but I'm guessing not this dark.

Overall, I just thought that I've had much much better Mangrove Jacks kits - they are my 'go to' kits. Juicy Session IPA, Pink Grapefruit IPA, Helles, Bavarian Wheat, Irish Stout - all solid, great beers.

So, there you go. What kits would you not brew again and why?

20230807_204909.jpg

M.J. Juicy session IPA.

I did one a good while ago but couldn't get over the (for me) over the top fruit flavour. I found it a challenge to actually taste the "beer" in it. I had actually bought 2 if them and did the second a few months later. Surprisingly it tasted exactly the same.
So Juicy session IPA, not for me

Cheers Tom

P.S. I do like some fruity flavours in a beer but subtle, not in your face

Mangrove Jacks American IPA. I expected a lot given the quality of the MJ kits, but this one was a real disappointment.

It was much darker in colour than I expected and nothing like an AIPA. If you imagined you were drinking an English bitter, then it was fine, but it bore no resemblance to the style it was poporting to be.

Young's American Oaked Rum Ale
MJ Raspberry Berliner Weisse
MJ Bavarian Wheat
MJ Spiced Belgian Dubbel
MJ Orange and Cinnamon Wit
Munton's Taproom Lemon Radler
Bulldog Strawberry Pale Ale

Lots of MJ but I do lots of their kits and tend to choose 'different' stuff, apparently just so my wife can say 'I told you so'.

Young's American Oaked Rum Ale
MJ Raspberry Berliner Weisse
MJ Bavarian Wheat
MJ Spiced Belgian Dubbel
MJ Orange and Cinnamon Wit
Munton's Taproom Lemon Radler
Bulldog Strawberry Pale Ale

Lots of MJ but I do lots of their kits and tend to choose 'different' stuff, apparently just so my wife can say 'I told you so'.
I'm with you on the MJ Bavarian Wheat but I quite liked Youngs ORA. I'd add MJ American IPA to that list.

I buy kits to give me stock of home brew when I don't have time to do AG.

An AG brew day for me can be be up to 6 hours start to finish, including clean up. I just don't have the time these days. A kit can be done in a couple of hours.

I know that timings could be reduced by preparing equipment, water etc. the night before, but AG is still a time consuming activity.

I've actually got grain, hops and yeast for a Weissbeer but just can't get the time to get it brewed in my Maischfest. June, July and August are bad months due to school holidays, family holidays, birthdays etc etc - I should have realised that before I bought the AG ingredients! 🤦‍♂️

Following my post within the 'What Kit Beer Are You Drinking Tonight?' thread, and a suggestion from another member, I'm starting this thread for anyone looking for guidance on what kits to potentially avoid. As @alfajerry quite rightly pointed out to me, it's all a matter of taste, and everyone has their own opinion, so don't take any guidance here as gospel - it is opinion and guidance!

I'll kick it off with my opinion - Mangrove Jacks Single Hopped Nelson Sauvin IPA. I actually watched the Partridge Brothers' YouTube review of this kit while pondering whether to buy it. Their review wasn't too great, however, the price I was looking at for the kit was low - B2B were selling it at a bargain price because it only had a month left on the Best Before date. My thoughts were that it wouldn't be that bad, so I bought it. I don't regret buying it - it's actually 'OK', but I wouldn't buy it again.

For me, it didn't match any descriptors on the package. There is no rich and fruity aroma - only a hint of fruit, maybe even a piney/pithy aroma. The colour is a dark amber/copper - not vibrant gold. The taste does have a lingering bitterness but doesn't seem as dry as described - which might actually be OK for some people! Note that the deviations from the descriptors could be due to the BB date being almost reached, or even storage conditions on my part or B2B's part, although I did store it in a cupboard that is cool. I did also brew it short at 21L rather than 23L, which could account for a slightly darker colour, but I'm guessing not this dark.

Overall, I just thought that I've had much much better Mangrove Jacks kits - they are my 'go to' kits. Juicy Session IPA, Pink Grapefruit IPA, Helles, Bavarian Wheat, Irish Stout - all solid, great beers.

So, there you go. What kits would you not brew again and why?

View attachment 88687
Like you I purchased two of these from B2B, the first I did with medium malt extract, yes very dark could'nt call it an IPA, so I named it an Indian Dark Ale. I love the flavours and the extremely Bitter after taste. The second I did with Brewing Sugar, not finished yet by quite a bit lighter in colour, looking forward to drinking it. Yes I would buy it again if reduced in price!

Controversially, I wouldn't do Woodforde's Wherry again. Mine came out like what my friends would describe as "tasting like home brew".
I rarely do kits these days. Similar to above, I find them useful when stocks of brew are low and time is tight. 20 minutes and it's done.

I know that timings could be reduced by preparing equipment, water etc. the night before, but AG is still a time consuming activity.

Yeah it is. You have considered overnight mash and overnight chill? It's doesn't have to be complicated. I have just done boil today 1.5 hours. Left it to cool and I will pitch tomorrow.

Well I know this is really in bad taste at the moment due to the anouncement this afternoon but virtually all the one can Wilko's unless you are going to pimp them. They all end up thin and wishy washy

One thing to remember is that malt extract goes darker, the older (or poorly kept) it is. If a kit is near or after use by date, then the beer will be darker than expected. Taste shouldn't be affected.

Another point (I think I read it on here from a few years ago) is that when making lighter coloured beer kits, use light malt extract - either liquid or dry. Medium or dark extract should be used for stouts etc.

Sometimes manufacturers make a mistake and put the wrong extract in a kit but it is rare.

Controversially, I wouldn't do Woodforde's Wherry again. Mine came out like what my friends would describe as "tasting like home brew".
I rarely do kits these days. Similar to above, I find them useful when stocks of brew are low and time is tight. 20 minutes and it's done.
Quite agree - I thought the Wherry kit was pretty dire and nothing like the real thing. If I remember rightly about two thirds of it went down the sink. I bought it along with two Festival kits at the start of the year when I was suffering a bout of ill health and couldn't raise the energy to do AG as I normally do. The two Festival kits (Summer Ale and Landlord bitter) also went down the drain long before the kegs were empty.

Last edited:
Quite agree - I thought the Wherry kit was pretty dire and nothing like the real thing. If I remember rightly about two thirds of it went down the sink. I bought it along with two Festival kits at the start of the year when I was suffering a bout of ill health and couldn't raise the energy to do AG as I normally do. The two Festival kits (Summer Ale and Landlord bityter) also went down the drain long before the kegs were empty.
I've made the Wherry kit 3 or 4 times and each time it has been the same - a typical homebrew bitter. Nothing special.

I've also had Wherry in a bottle and on cask and neither were like the kit. The bottle was closer but the cask pint was a much lighter colour with some hop flavour. I suspect Wetherspoons gave me the wrong pint :laugh8:

Yeah it is. You have considered overnight mash and overnight chill? It's doesn't have to be complicated. I have just done boil today 1.5 hours. Left it to cool and I will pitch tomorrow.
I've read all the posts on here from those that do overnight mash and chill but never considered doing it. I like to do the usual 1 hour mash and use my immersion chiller to bring the temp down quickly. It's just part of the brew day for me. Although it takes time, when I do get peace to get a brew on, the full process is enjoyable (apart from cleaning up!). Maybe I'm just a creature of habit.

I've made the Wherry kit 3 or 4 times and each time it has been the same - a typical homebrew bitter. Nothing special.

I've also had Wherry in a bottle and on cask and neither were like the kit. The bottle was closer but the cask pint was a much lighter colour with some hop flavour. I suspect Wetherspoons gave me the wrong pint :laugh8:
I also make kits when circumstances prevent ag.wherry was the worst by far.
I have had much better results with cheaper single can kits.

Back