Drilling a lid for an airlock grommet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do feel like a heretic tho. I would not drill this at all. I haven't used airlocks for YEARS

.. And never a spatula 😉

All I do is do the lid up and then turn it back ¼

Better still if the rubber seal is an o ring. Pull it out.

That's the plan. I was asking for advice on drilling the plastic lid. I didn't want it to split or break. Have you drilled plastic?
Loads of times. Easier to drill that wood or metal, but having reread this thread I wouldn't bother.

Try turn back ¼ now. Happy days.

Here it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20240131_091938842.jpg
    IMG_20240131_091938842.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
I would just hang a 50mm length of string or thin copper wire over the lid, before closing. This will make a tiny gap, which is all you need.

I guess that bucket is about 10 litres?

I would just hang a 50mm length of string or thin copper wire over the lid, before closing. This will make a tiny gap, which is all you need.

I guess that bucket is about 10 litres?
Yes, 10 litres.
I was given it . The tap leaked on my first brew but insulation tape solved that issue.
I'm using a thin 6" wooden spatula to keep the lid slightly ajar.
My only concern about leaving a tiny gap is flies or dust getting in. An air lock gives me more sense of security.
Maybe I'm over concerned?

Many thanks for all contributions.
Today I plucked up the courage to drill the FV top and fit the grommet for the airlock.
I soaked it in hit water and used a small awl and the drills of greater sizes.
All went well, so thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20240207_163023260.jpg
    IMG_20240207_163023260.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240207_163036599.jpg
    IMG_20240207_163036599.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
I did hear somewhere about MELTING a hole in the lid with a bit of hot pipe.
I did hear somewhere about MELTING a hole in the lid with a bit of hot pipe.
This was a favourite trick when plumbing up a roof tank etc, heat up a piece of copper pipe of the right size with the blow lamp and push it through the tank ,quick and a neat hole which just needed de-burring on the inside .

Back