Low profile fermentor airlock - what parts do I need?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got an old fridge which I'm going to use as a fermentation cabinet (usual tube heater and ink bird conversion). However the internal dimension are a bit odd as the fridge, though supposedly a standard size under counter fridge, seems a bit small inside and there is not enough room for the usual airlocks on top. So I need a tube type airlock but struggling to find the dimensions of the tubing and any other pieced I need. I've got a normal plastic fermentor bucket with a small hole in the lid and black grommet which you can push a normal airlock into. So I assume I need either a length of silicone hose the right outside diameter to push directly into the grommet that gives a snug fit, or some sort of fitting to attach the hose to and push the fitting into the grommet. At the other end I'll either just put the end into a dish of sanitiser or push a normal airlock into.

Can anyone help me identify the parts I need? Thanks, Scott

I use standard 3/8" tubing and a John Guest elbow to make it go 90 degrees without stressing the hole. I've got a standard small rubber grommet on one fermenter and on the other which is one of those 'wine' fermenters which fit a bung you can jam the pipe in that. Then all straight into a bottle full of star san.

A bit OTT I know....
24C72899-0A53-4F0D-9F58-3A343DBF7356.jpeg

I don’t use this anymore. I have a push fit elbow fitted to the FV lid and run the pipe through the fridge side so I can collect the CO2.
C3C9E3BD-C64D-41E5-87BE-9A28E2DF3E94.jpeg

Latest posts

Back