dry hop suggestions for my first extract brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otate

Reaction score
hi, I recently had my first go at extract brewing. I wasnt following a recipe as such, just used 2 tins of pale malt extract and 100 grams of hallertauer hersbrucker hops. Whilst checking the gravity reading tonight (its ready for secondary racking) I had a quick sample and whilst it tasted very nice and drinkable, to me it lacked any real depth of flavour.

My question is, is it worth dry hopping to try and add a bit extra? which hops and what quantity?

thanks for any advice

It might be worth a try.

Perhaps dry hop with 30 grams or so for starters. I'm thinking in terms of a 23 liter batch. If your's is considerably less then you might want to scale accordingly.

Since you already used Hersbrucker I'd probably go with the German theme and use more Hersbrucker or another German variety (e.g. Tettnang, Spalt, etc.).

Of course, Saaz would also be nice.

Stylistically speaking, the resultant beer won't be your typical English ale but it should be interesting.

If you like something more...traditional then dry hop using English aroma varieties (e.g. Kent Goldings, Fuggle, Bramling Cross, Progress, etc.).

I hope this helps.

- Scott

You say 100g of hops but what was your hopping schedule? Early (60-90mins) is for bitterness, middle (15-20 mins) is for flavour and late (0-5 mins) is for aroma. Dry hopping gives a fresh element and is something I tend to always do. So how much did you boil and for how long?

Thanks for replies, I used 80 grams at 1 hour, 20grams 10 minutes before end. Total boil time was 90 minutes
23 litre batch

Thanks for info, yes it did taste quite bitter, have added 50g of admiral to see if it helps

that will be rather plain, but I wouldn't bother doing anything too dramatic. just enjoy it for what it is, and know for next time. :)

if you want to dry hop, saaz is good for lagers (stella artois finish,) and goldings is always a good plan :thumb:

Back