Dry hops floating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m currently fermenting my NEIPA style beer, I dry hopped on day two as the brew was going off like a rocket. The dry hop was 240g and is fermenting at 5psi. My problem is the hops are floating and I think they’re paying havoc with my iSpindel as the pic will show the red line going up and down all the time. I’ve never had this happen before and was wondering if the amount of hops was causing this and I should do a cold crash to help them ‘fall’ IMG_2139.jpeg

Did you use leaf or pellets?
I only use leaf hops in the boil and use pellets for dry hopping for just this reason.
I've found the whole hops sit in an unsinkable raft after dry hopping, cold crashing doesn't help much.
Using a weighted bag would help no doubt but I like to leave them loose.
Also I only dry hop after fermentation has finished around day 10.

If it were me and its still fermenting I'd probably leave it be, cold crash when finished and trust gravity will be what it should be.

Stainless steel dessert spoon(teaspoons are not heavy enough) just sanitise and chuck in the bag with the hops
Might need 2 spoons or split between bags with a spoon in each, depending on how many hops you have. It's surprising how buoyant hops can be.

Latest posts

Back