Dual use Fridge Freezer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photek1000

Reaction score
Been mulling this over as I'm about to tidy up my garage and you never know have enough space for at least a brew fridge, but I was thinking if I got an upright Fridge Freezer could I strip enough of the controls out of it to control each section individually and have a ferm chamber and a kegerator at the same time.

Anyone tried this or found any guides to building such an item, or am I barking up the wrong tree and should aim for two separate units.

As I understand it, a fridge freezer will typically run off a single compressor, so you either have both parts on or both parts off rather than the two operating independently. You'd be better off getting separate units, or better still, a larder fridge and a chest freezer!

This is was I was fearing would be the issue.

Think I'll look for one and then another to stack on some supports.

I've seen lots of people on HBT doing side-by-side fridge freezers that only had one compressor. They mostly seem to use the compressor to run the keg-side at a low temp, then cut holes with fans to move cold air into the ferm-chamber side when needed (closed by gravity grill flaps/louvres when not in use).

Like this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/side-by-side-fermenter-keggerator.316056/

Not sure if it would be viable with an up and down one, I guess it depends on whether there are any components in between the two that you might ruin by cutting fan holes.

They are so rare, you could be wanting one for the next few years, plus how many people even know or even care how many compressors their fridge has.

Back