E-cigarette battery blast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you use an E-cigarette with Samsung batteries this may be of interest.

_101184770_dcbfddux4auuwma.jpg

E-cigarette battery blast leaves mother with burnt scalp (BBC News)

A woman has suffered burns to her head after the batteries for her e-cigarette exploded in her car.

Hannah Clarke, 25, from Essex, was being driven from Buckhurst Hill to Debden at 07:00 BST on Saturday when her handbag exploded.

Her partner, Richard Jolley, 27, stopped and they both jumped out of the vehicle.

He pulled the bag out of the car, burning his fingers in the process.

"It was not very hot that early in the morning driving along and suddenly it exploded sending flames, battery acid, smoke and burning plastic all over my head," Ms Clarke said.

"I was just glad my boy was not with us. He usually sits in the back.

"Our seats took some of the explosion but if he'd been there he would have been burnt."

"We went to the vape shop and saw on the computer we had bought the batteries last October with a three-month warranty," Ms Clarke said.

"But they should have last more than seven months. It's early days but I have put a complaint in to Samsung."

The batteries had been in a container away from the e-cigarette.

Mr Jolley grabbed the burning bag because he was concerned it could set fire to the petrol tank and destroy the car, which had already suffered damage to the seats.

The BBC has contacted Samsung for comment.

Dunno. Not bothered cos I smoke roll-ups. Can't tell you how much the bacca costs lol!
Oh I imported those from the Netherlands back in the days. As in: once every few months I brought back 5 or 6 kilos in tobacco. In the UK you paid double the price for half the amount. Never charged my colleagues more than what they had cost me though, I'm not a good reseller. But always good for a few free drinks :cheers7:

"The batteries had been in a container" most likely touched ends and shorted out. Those little Li 18650 batteries go nuclear even if you look at them wrong.

"The batteries had been in a container" most likely touched ends and shorted out. Those little Li 18650 batteries go nuclear even if you look at them wrong.
Decent ones have in-built protection from the usual careless user fails (overcharge, overdischarge, overcurrent) for exactly the reason you cite. Problem is that some people are cheap and will give up safety to save a pound. I like the bit about 'battery acid' - had visions of e-fags hooked up to the car battery!

I assume they were 18650 batts as Samsung were mentioned, most probably had bad or damaged wraps, shorted on each other & went nuclear. Damaged wraps should be replaced & batteries should be swapped out every 6 months (known fact). Put this down to user error, no excuse. One thing's for sure, the BBC wont mention that, just another negative headline against those who got fed up with their fags falling between their legs whilst driving & setting the car alight!

There was a good programme on the telly last night on battery development and why the Lithium ion batteries explode. The electrolyte is highly flammable.
They showed some new versions that used a plastic instead of the liquid electrolyte and you could cut these in half with no issues, also they could hold a lot more charge as the electrode could be made of lithium metal rather than just contain lithium ions.

Talking of lithium...
In a meeting in work a clever person
tells the rest that a machine was down because the dilithium crystals had run out....
One nodding donkey promptly went phoning around trying to get some....
Another idiot believed the flux capacitor had gone and phoned engineering to get it fixed...who fell about laughing...

Talking of lithium...
In a meeting in work a clever person
tells the rest that a machine was down because the dilithium crystals had run out....
One nodding donkey promptly went phoning around trying to get some....
Another idiot believed the flux capacitor had gone and phoned engineering to get it fixed...who fell about laughing...

Lol. Reminds of those global warming nutjobs who went on a crusade to ban dihydrogen monoxide ( water, to you and me ) cos it caused climate change!

Latest posts

Back