Elderberry wine - success!

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Brewdays!' started by kelper, Oct 19, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Oct 24, 2019 #21

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

It is no wetter here than Yorkshire (where we moved from). I am near Bettyhill. We have lots of sunny days here. Often it's wet to the west of us and windy to the east.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  2. Oct 24, 2019 #22

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Regular.

For your interest my method is as follows:-
    (1) Sulphite i reserve for equipment and bottles.I low temp pasteurise instead ( I can taste and smell sulphite a MILE off.)
    (2) I often freeze the fruit>The cells rupture during thawing aiding extraction.Also gives me time to collect enough fruit.
    (3) If I am going higher alcohol I sugar feed with wine booster grape extract 1-2 tins per gal rather than plain syrup.
    I use plenty of yeast nutrient and b vit at start of fermentation.
    (4) My yeast is ecc1118 its low foaming high alc and a "killer" yeast so will dominate fermentation I allways use a starter so i guess that counts as overpitching.
    (5) I temp control my fermentations keeping temp rock steady throughout.(Allways ferment bone dry)sweeten with non fermentable and glycerine later if reqd.
    (6) I use a wine filter (ahem!!)
    (7) Alcohol is 15-16% helps wine keep without sulphite.(You need more fruit to keep the wine balanced )
    (8) I use pressure relief tops on the demijohns during maturation in case of any refermentation.

Hope this is of some use.

3. Oct 24, 2019 #23

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Regular.

Re:>Rodj I use about 2lb fine chopped shells per gal. Btw forgot to mention I pre-ferment in a fermenter before finishing in demijon if there is a lot of pulp. Some Rosehips here are the diameter of golf balls as well as the "normal" ones

4. Oct 24, 2019 #24

Rodj

Rodj

Rodj

Thanks johnc, that's useful and interesting. You may have prompted me into some experimentation.

5. Oct 24, 2019 #25

Rodj

Rodj

Rodj

Fair enough kelper, I guess your 90 miles was by road. I measured it as the seagull flies and that put you 20 miles into the north Atlantic.
    That entire coast is rather nice. I well remember a fishing holiday I had years ago with my dad, travelling around that area. I was with my dentist this afternoon (not the best of experiences) and he's just returned from a week salmoning up there, I think near Thurso. One of his mates somehow contrived to inherit a lodge and a bit of water; he said there was a lot of salmon activity.

6. Oct 25, 2019 #26

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

johncrobinson

Regular.

As a kid i used to holiday in Ullapool on the west coast,We used to hire boats to fish in loch Broom,Loved the place.
    10 years ago i had a speed boat built and spent a whole year there on holiday.I had worked in London for 20yrs without a break so i reckon i was owed.
    Now following a road accident i am partially disabled.I now live in muir of ord which i dont like to be honest. If i could work again i would love to go back really love to go back.The west coast people are amazing.Still not to long before i become a "triple locked pensioner" so who knows.I live in hope!!

7. Dec 3, 2019 #27

nige

nige

nige

Hi, how long did this take to drink, tasted elder before it's great with damson.