Elderflower nightmare!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRat

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone please advise on salvaging this elderflower champagne? It had 14 days in the fermenter. It only just started to fizz so I transferred to demi and nothing. It's dead! Is it because I managed to get some bits in?? I added sugar syrup to try and kick-start the fermentation process but it's totally flat. I used champagne yeast too. It's a decent straw colour and tastes sweet but no fizz.
Cheers!
Sue

Attachments

• 20230621_114116.jpg
    20230621_114116.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2
You have an airlock in the demijohn. This allows any fermented CO2 to escape rather than be forced into solution by pressure. So it'll never get fizzy.

Transfer to beer bottles and cap with a teaspoon of sugar added to each and leave in at room temperature for 2 weeks. As @Agentgonzo describes, you will not get any fizz in an open container or one with an air lock. If you don't have a bottle capper or don't want to use beer bottles, then transfer to cleaned and empty fizzy juice bottles and add about a teaspoon of sugar per 400ml. Just if the bottles are clear then keep them in the dark.

For future reference either you bottle at around 1.010 and leave remaining unfermented sugar to provide carbonation or let it ferment out and sugar when bottling ( as pointed out above )
The only way to do this is to monitor the gravity and if using first option make sure you have suitably strong bottles.
Last year I let it ferment out and used a mini keg primed with a sugar solution.
Worked well and meant I could top up with Co2 as required.

Thanks everyone for your help..☺️ Well I bottled it yesterday and was amazed with the result as it has a natural light carbonation, and is very sweet (but not too sweet). It's cloudy and tastes lemony but I love it! Last year's turned to vinegar so this was a pleasant surprise.
I have used glass bottles with corks put in by hand. Also plastic bottles with lids.
I don't have a hydrometer or bottle corker. Do I really need either of these?
I like to do what my dear mum used to do, play it by ear and let it do its thing without all the technical stuff!
Cheers!

When your mum was young all bottles had more glass in them than today.
You have to buy a hydrometer but you were given your eyes and hands so I suppose if you lose the use of one there's no cost.
Bonne chance!

The brew is good. I've put corks in by hand and there is sufficient room for the gas to escape. If I used a corker, it would be too tight. I've not had an exploder before but saying that, my bro is bringing a hydrometer over.
As it is, it's a lovely light brew with a delicate elderflower taste and slight fizz. I'm pleased with the result this year.

Back