Empty keg - why so dark?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

My keg of NEIPA just kicked and this was what came out of the end of it. I did notice that the keg was losing pressure (dismantled then cleaned keg & disconnects but forgot to lube after), the beer lost it's brightness but was fine. It tasted and smelled good just, what I believe to be, a bit oxidized.
What would cause the dregs to go like this? Apologies if this is common but I haven't seen this in the near 20 beers I've kegged so far... Including a few other NEIPAs

Attachments

• 16952452049483045184315771969533.jpg
    16952452049483045184315771969533.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 6
Do you normally force carbonate?

I use pressure barrels - nine of them and that looks like the dregs from every single brew I have done in the past 15-16 years. It's yeast and beer.

Like I said it's yeast and beer.

Whilst fermention can produce a light coloured yeast sediment, after packaging the yeast is put under pressure and in my experience always takes on a dark colour. Even clarifying a beer without pasteurisation or filtration there will always be some yeast that enters the the final product. I suspect it's the pressure forcing proteins in the beer through the yeast cells walls. I am not brewing scientist, so just a guess.

Latest posts

Back