English Pale experimental/ first ever brewday!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
He's only gone and bloomin' done it! :clap: 1st ever brew!

So here is the break down:

3500g maris otter
200g caramalt 20l
60g torrified wheat

However it did not go as smoothly as I hoped. I guess that is all part of the learning curve tho. The first lesson was to get a decent thermometer. I used a crappy old one which decided to break just as I was doughing in! dont worry no contamination issues but I had to finish mashing, close the lid and go off to get a new one. Measured the temp when I got back (which was 60mins later) and it was 70c :shock: Looks like I may be getting a very sweet beer! I added some cold and let it mash another 30mins in the hope that it may help somewhat but I'm guessing the damage was already done???

anyway I carried on took gravity reading of 1040
the recipe calc gave a predicted final of 1010 which will give me the 4% I wanted (fluke but will I be likely to get that final given the cock up? I dont know how it works??)

I did 3 different batches hopped differently

1: 5 litres.
first gold 10g 60mins, first gold 3g 15mins

2: 5 litres.
ekg 13g 60 mins, ekg 3g 15mins

3: 10 litres
fuggles 30 60mins, ekg 4g + first gold 4g 15mins

was going to do 4 different batches but pan and fermenting volumes didn't allow.

I know you all want pics so here they are in the next post (if i can work out how to do it)

Robsan7785999_DSC01248.JPG

THATS BETTER
the kettle being made followed by the mash tun. The manifold will need improving at some point but did a good jopb today. The mash tun is insulated with foil wrapped twice then an old camping ground mat.

Robsan7785995_DSC01251.JPG

Robsan7785997_DSC01249.JPG

Robsan7785993_DSC01250.JPG

Robsan7785989_DSC01254.JPG

Well done thats the first and hardest out of the way :thumb:
Thing get easier from now on!
Great Photos :thumb:

Well done rob for jumping in at the deep end, good on ya :cool:
Looks like I may be getting a very sweet beer! I added some cold and let it mash another 30mins in the hope that it may help somewhat but I'm guessing the damage was already done???
English malts tend to mash very quickly and are completely converted in 45 mins..or less...give or take. You can perform a starch test to check if the mash is complete.
Simply put a drop of Videne/iodene onto a plate and then add some of the runnings from the mash. If it stays brown the mash is done, if it turns purple, leave the mash until you retest and it stays brown. The purple colour indicates starch is still present and it hasn't yet been converted to sugars :thumb:

Latest posts

Back