Erdinger Weissbier Bottle Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twogunrocky

Reaction score
Does anyone know conclusively which yeast is used to bottle condition, is it the original fermentation yeast or a bottling yeast?

IMG_20221109_151740_593.jpg

IMG_20221109_151646_285.jpg

as the description is a little ambiguous. TIAđź‘Ť

They, as most weissbier brewers, use lager yeast for bottle conditioning.
Not questioning your wisdom @crescent city Mike , but why would they do such a thing? Erdinger is a cloudy beer where they want the low-flocculating yeast to remain in suspension so there's plenty of active yeast there to condition the beer. Lallemand Munich Classic will tolerate 12% alcohol so there should be plenty of oomph left in the yeast.
Having said that, I wonder if Erdinger pasteurise and force carbonate their beers.
There are some insights here, but nothing very conclusive.
https://uk.erdinger.de/beer/weissbier.html

My thoughts exactly AA..... I emailed them directly about bottle conditioning, and their water profile, they wasn't prepared to share their water, and i've heard nothing back with regards to bottle conditioning yeast. But reading through everything on their website is leaning toward them not adding any further yeast for conditioning, just what is present.
Just not entirely sure.

My thoughts exactly AA..... I emailed them directly about bottle conditioning, and their water profile, they wasn't prepared to share their water, and i've heard nothing back with regards to bottle conditioning yeast. But reading through everything on their website is leaning toward them not adding any further yeast for conditioning, just what is present.
Just not entirely sure.
I wonder if you can get the water profile from the water company that supplies erding? At least it would be a starting point. With regards to the yeast it does taste good whereas some yeasts are best left unpoured at the bottom of the bottle.

I did make an aventinus clone recently and got a great result by using wb-06 then helping it get above 8% with gervin. A bit off topic I know. I will try the yeast from my next weissbeir and compare it to the one in the erdinger bottle but thats not likely to be this side of April 2023 when I brew another batch of weissbeir

That's a possibility for the water, I'm just experimenting with wheat beers right now and primarily just trying to find out if it's worth culturing up what's in the bottle.
I'll be doing the Blue Moon recipe too from the great thread on HBT, supplied by a guy who helped formulate the original in 1995.

why would they do such a thing?
Just speculating, but I can think that attenuation would possibly be a factor, with a highly carbed beer it might warrant a higher attenuating neutral yeast in the bottle. Also for a dryer finish perhaps.

It just occurred to me for the opposite reason - opening a beer which used a low attenuating yeast (M-15), and then realizing that attenuation isn't accounted for in the priming calculator I used, which might explain the lack of hiss on opening.

Last edited:
Back