Essex water alkalinity change?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
So I do regular salifert tests on my alkalinity to the point it's become boring as it's always the same, 190 CaCo3 or within 2 points of being the same. So when I tested last weekend and it came out 136 CaCo3 I was so surprised I took another test straight away. Same result. Tested again tonight and again 136 CaCo3. Very strange, after years of the same results why such a difference. Any of our other Essex brewers tested recently.

joe1002 said:
Have you checked your salifert kit?

I wondered that, for the sake of £6-£7 pounds. But the inner tight **** in me says there are lots of tests left in the one I've got :D . Any one know the alkalinity of Ashbeck water, I've that for my starsan so I could test that to see if it's the kit. Still find it hard to think the kit is faulty.

My kit contains a bottle of "standard check solution" with the values printed on the side. I assume you use that instead of water to test. Does yours have that?

joe1002 said:
My kit contains a bottle of "standard check solution" with the values printed on the side. I assume you use that instead of water to test. Does yours have that?

:doh: :doh: :doh: Just found the check solution. Was not in the box but with other odds and sods. Did a check and the kit is spot on.

Hmm, that's real strange then. Perhaps give Essex & Suffolk a call? Your water may come from a different reservoir to mine.

bobsbeer said:
Does your water company publish the latest figures for your area? Have you checked to see if there has been a change?

I tend to e-mail them annually for all the parameters I need. They always express alkalinity in HCO3, so I have stuck with the test kit.

joe1002 said:
Hmm, that's real strange then. Perhaps give Essex & Suffolk a call? Your water may come from a different reservoir to mine.

We are Hanningfield Joe but it can vary between areas I believe.

Dennis . . . It happens . . . Generally I can be sure that the alkalinity in my area is between 20-35 . . .during the 'summer' . . .You remember those few days . . . . it can get up to 130-150 when they swap the supply to boreholes to reduce the demand on the moorland reservoirs.

This is the main reason why relying on a water authority report is less than helpful . . . . always measure before using

Runwell-Steve said:
I just tested mine and got 142.5, where I normally get 188. That makes we wonder what else has changed we need to know about.

Not that much different to my reading Steve, Certainly seem our area has changed.

Aleman said:
Dennis . . . It happens . . . Generally I can be sure that the alkalinity in my area is between 20-35 . . .during the 'summer' . . .You remember those few days . . . . it can get up to 130-150 when they swap the supply to boreholes to reduce the demand on the moorland reservoirs.

This is the main reason why relying on a water authority report is less than helpful . . . . always measure before using

Don't test before every brew, I have normally checked around once a month which is about every other brew. The fact this change has happend I think I will take your advice Tony, every brew from now on, it only takes 5 or 10 mins.

dennisking said:
Runwell-Steve said:
I just tested mine and got 142.5, where I normally get 188. That makes we wonder what else has changed we need to know about.

Not that much different to my reading Steve, Certainly seem our area has changed.
And Steve is a lot closer to you than me so that would make sense :thumb:

My supply seems to be different.

Back