Everards Tiger/ Courage Directors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discofirecat

Reaction score
Hello to all, does anybody have a recipe for Everards Tiger? Failing that, Courage Directors would be welcome

Thanks

Right - I've had a look around and can't find a recipe for this, there are a few basics that we need to find out.

The most important thing at the moment (as we can guess the grain amounts based on info from the web and the colour of the brew)

Knowing the bitterness would be a bonus

This is what I've been able to locate for Tiger :)
Don't know the beer so don't know how close it would be :hmm:

It uses Maris Otter and Crystal, Fuggles and Goldings according to their own website. Knowing very little and using this as perhaps a start for the more experienced to come in on:

Pale Malt 4000 grams 89.9%
Crystal Malt 250 grams 5.6%
Torrefied Wheat 200 grams 4.5%

Hop Alpha Time grams
Fuggle 4.9 % 90 mins 50
Golding 5.7 % 15 mins 20

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.010
Alcohol Content: 4.3% ABV
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 34 EBU
Colour: 17 EBC

I'd wager yeast and water have something to do with its style.

One of Wheelers books has a recipe for Directors. I did it a few years ago and thought it was a fine brew. I'll go and look for the book and post the recipe later. :thumb:

Courage Directors Bitter (from BYOBRAAH)

OG: 1046 FG 1008
Brew Length: 23l
ABV: 5.1%
IBU: 33

3800g Halcyon Pale Malt
230g Crystal
23g Black Malt
430g White Sugar

Hops:
35g Target -Start of boil
5g Hallertau - Last 15 mins
10g Styr Gold - Last 15 mins

Wheeler works to an efficiency of 85% so you will have to adjust the malts to compensate. :thumb:

Sorry to be a pain fellas, but I am a total novice at grain brewing. Are these quantities for a 5 gallon brew? And how much water would you use for mashing and how much for sparge?

Yes Dunfie has posted a 23L or 5 imp gallon recipe :thumb:
As for sparge liquor, if you are batch sparging there is a calculator HERE and if fly sparging prepare 5 gallons or 23L of liquor and stop sparging when the gravity falls to 1.010 adjusted for temperature :thumb:

And there was me thinking that this was going to be easy, thanks for your help, I think that i have a rough idea, so I'm going to grab the grain by the husk and rip into it! If I fail, I won't get bitter about it or is that won't get any bitter out of it!

Thanks

Just a quick update, I based my brew on ano's recipe for tiger, but I think that I got the water quantities a bit low. It is now bubbling away at an enthusiastic pace with an OG of 1061! I think that it could be a strong one.

Sounds as if you had a good day there disco.
I would'nt worry to much about the water quantities that's something that can be easily put right next time.
The main thing is to have something drinkable at the end of the day. :thumb:

Hi guys, it's just over a week since I was begging for help from your good selves. I jumped in feet first and have managed to produce and bottle a mid colour, sweetness and bitterness balanced little number with an ABV of 6.5%. It does not resemble tiger though, well apart from the fact that it is a bitter. Looking forward to the conditioning being over and getting stuck in!

I am going to make a larger batch next time as this one only yielded 15pints. Then I will make a nice pale ale in the hope of enjoying it in the summer heat!

I am well chuffed, my beer making confidence is up! thanks for your help guys!

discofirecat said:
Hi guys, it's just over a week since I was begging for help from your good selves. I jumped in feet first and have managed to produce and bottle a mid colour, sweetness and bitterness balanced little number with an ABV of 6.5%. It does not resemble tiger though, well apart from the fact that it is a bitter. Looking forward to the conditioning being over and getting stuck in!

I am going to make a larger batch next time as this one only yielded 15pints. Then I will make a nice pale ale in the hope of enjoying it in the summer heat!

I am well chuffed, my beer making confidence is up! thanks for your help guys!
Yeah I meant to msg you, my recipe was only as a simple base for the hopping schedule I didn't really know how to get the right colour, maybe roasted barley or dark crystal or some such, hence my request for others to post their thoughts, but now knowing it's in Wheeler's book I can understand their reluctance. Glad you're not too disheartened it's not too much like Tiger though =)

Also it sounds like your numbers went a bit awry, if you'd let it down with water before fermentation you could have had more beer at a slightly lower percentage abv (if that's what you were looking for).

The first few brews are all about learning the process and getting comfortable with what happens and when, and getting to know your equipment and how it performs (heat losses, volume losses to trub/the mash etc), a drinkable by-product is a bonus, but certainly acheivable.

Back