Evil dog IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Ian

Mine has now been in FV1 for 12 days and is still bubbling every 5 seconds so still going strong took a reading last night and its gone down to sg1026.

Think its going to be a while yet before I bottle this one, I have seen some people say the final reading gets down to 1006 at the 23L so ill see what mine goes down too.

From my last brews I bottled when I had a steady SG reading for 4 days, as Im going to dry hop should I wait until I get the steady final readings before putting the hop pellets in?

Also if you have done these kits before do the finishing hops come in a teabadg already? as I haven't opened the hops packets.

Many Thanks all :thumb:

The pellets are in tea bags, yes.

I've just transferred mine to the secondary FV. It was 12 days in the primary and reached 1.006. I think temperature plays a big part in the speed of fermentation.

Dave

Yeah they come in big tea bags. I put them both in a cup poured kettle left for 10 min and poured it all in bags too. Did that on day 4.

Cool, mine has been sat between 22c and 24c for the whole 2 weeks and is bubbling away still every 5 seconds.

getting excited about this one.:lol:

Next on the list is a stout with coffee

As bungle said put into jug or cup of boiling water for about 10 minutes and cover then tip the whole lot into FV. I done this about 3-4 days before bottling

Just transfered my pressure barrel from the warm spare bedroom to the garage after a week of warm conditioning.

Obviously I had to draw off a bit to ensure I had achieved good carbonation (:)) and to check I had no gas leaks. Suffice it to say, all was well. Although young and raw, this stuff really packs a punch! Absolute rocket fuel!

I was surprised how well it had cleared after only a week. I can't wait until it's fully conditioned and the flavours have developed......

1423408274002-606701056.jpg

It really is a nice tasting beer. But you are very correct in saying its rocket fuel!! I was apparently talking a lot of nonsense to my mrs at the end of a night having been drinking it. Worryingly I didn't even remember talking to her never mind what about!! Good beer though.

So mine has been in the FV1 for 18 days at a constant 22c. Original SG was about 1070 I took a reading last night which was 1020.

As this will of been in FV1 for 3 weeks on sunday - how long can I keep it in FV1 to reach its potential final SG.

I have read that 4 weeks is max in FV1 which will help with clearing.

Thanks

Personally mate I would not consider bottle g or keeping this one until it gets around 1.006 or 1.004 it takes as long as it takes, I was really worried about mine but it did turn out great in the end.
I

Was my first brew and I did it as the instruction. Which reading on here was very quick compared to others. It was kegged after in 10 days at 1008. Worked out lovely!! But bery strong. Kit says 7.1% mine ended up at about 8.5% somehow. Couple of pints and well on your way!!

Cheers guys, I did a reading last night and it had dropped to 1016 and is now at 21 days in the FV1. Still unsure when to drop hops bags in as I like mine really hoppy so may do it on Friday evening hoping that I can bottle earliest sunday.

I'd be careful dropping the bag in. I've seen a few photos on here where the brew has become infected. Although (to some extent) the hop pellets have a natural resistance to infection, but the bag itself certainly does not. Either boil them up and make a "hop tea" or open the bag and sprinkle the pellets in. They drop out after they've soaked up the beer so you'll have no clarity issues.

Dave

I put mine I a cup in the bags. Poured a kettle over it to fill cup. Left 10min then lobbed it all in the FV I did it on day 4 and it tasted great!

Just got one of these kits and looking forward to brewing it. If it's as good as their Bad Cat Imperial Red then I'll be very happy.

Well it certainly tastes very nice indeed and the stated 7.5% is probably conservative! I put one lot of hops in after 6 days and another after 9 days. It took a full two weeks to ferment.

Impressed with the dog one. My FV is currently full bubbling away with my first attempt at extract brewing. But when empty might give it a go.

I'm just about to start, have decided to drop half hops in straight away & other half at the end of fermentation. I've got extra hops if this leaves the taste lacking. Hoping to have it complete by 4/4/15

Latest posts

Back