exploding demijohns?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegoatboy

Reaction score
Well the brewing bug is certainly biting me!

mrs goatboy went to asda earlier and asked if I wanted anything, so I said see how much a demijohn is.

Well she did and bought one!

So I've ordered a beaverdale kit.

The instructions have a warning about "not shaking a pressurised demijohn as it may explode" - well something like that.

is that the case?

the instruction are full of "shake to ....."

Shake them a bit and release the pressure, repeat that a few times, don't shake them excessively to the extent you create several bar of pressure and you should have no problems, the wand Chippy mentions though is the way to go, all degassing done in two minutes. Shaking them to blend ingredients prior to any fermentation will not matter as there will be no gas build up to worry about.

The degassing wand is also useful for starting your wines, I no longer adds sugar to hot water in a pan to dissolve it, i put it in the DJ with the juice and use a combination of hot (not boiling) and cold water to bring it up to pitching temperature (just to the shoulder of the DJ) then i use the degassing wand to dissolve the sugar, this cuts down the time it takes to make a DJ of juice wine considerably (and the cleaning up afterwards)

I was also perplexed at the exploding demi comment on beaver Dale kits.

Never had a problem with shaking a demi as suggested just don't to it for to long in one shake ;-)

I work at a plastics moulding factory and have been planning on making a mold of a degassing wand to sell to you guys for pennies :-)

I was also perplexed at the exploding demi comment on beaver Dale kits.

Never had a problem with shaking a demi as suggested just don't to it for to long in one shake ;-)

I work at a plastics moulding factory and have been planning on making a mold of a degassing wand to sell to you guys for pennies :-)

Or a bottle lol :-)

Latest posts

Back